Old 28-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Irene

Default Dividing lavender question

Any advice on dividing lavender (Munstead, I think)?

I've got it interplanted with my grape hyacinths, which should be
coming up soon. (I'm in zone 5). I'm thinking of waiting until the
grape hyacinths die down, and then dividing the lavender. Right now
I've got 3 clumps of lavender, and I want to spread them out more
evenly, still interspersed with the grape hyacinths.

Does this make sense, or should I time it differently?

Irene

Old 28-03-2005, 07:17 PM

You can't "divide' a lavendar since it's really a small shrub. I
haven't tried it, bou can take stem cuttings to make more plants.

Old 29-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Ann

"Irene" expounded:

Any advice on dividing lavender (Munstead, I think)?

I've got it interplanted with my grape hyacinths, which should be
coming up soon. (I'm in zone 5). I'm thinking of waiting until the
grape hyacinths die down, and then dividing the lavender. Right now
I've got 3 clumps of lavender, and I want to spread them out more
evenly, still interspersed with the grape hyacinths.

Does this make sense, or should I time it differently?

Irene

Lavender can't be divided, it's a small shrub. You can propogate it
from tip cuttings, or by layering.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 29-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Pen

If you have a tight clump of lavender then separate them as soon as
possible so they have time to grow into nice mounds. Grape hyacinths
are tough, I've moved them accidentally in early spring and some still
gave flowers. You might want to dig after flowering though. Get in
there before the leaves die down or you won't know where they are and
spear some.
Old 29-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Irene

Ann wrote:
"Irene" expounded:

Any advice on dividing lavender (Munstead, I think)?

I've got it interplanted with my grape hyacinths, which should be
coming up soon. (I'm in zone 5). I'm thinking of waiting until the
grape hyacinths die down, and then dividing the lavender. Right now
I've got 3 clumps of lavender, and I want to spread them out more
evenly, still interspersed with the grape hyacinths.

Does this make sense, or should I time it differently?

Irene

Lavender can't be divided, it's a small shrub. You can propogate it
from tip cuttings, or by layering.

You learn something every day! Glad I asked - I always assumed it was
a perennial, since I always read about it with herbs and not anywhere
else. I guess I'll try cuttings...

Irene