Old 01-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Chuckie

Default Ants

I being overrun with ants. They start coming into my house about this
time every year. I have chemicals and I use them but I hate to use
them.
Is there a way I can eliminate the ant without dangerous chemicals?
Chuckie
Zone 5

Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Phisherman

On 31 Mar 2005 17:13:57 -0800, "Chuckie" wrote:

I being overrun with ants. They start coming into my house about this
time every year. I have chemicals and I use them but I hate to use
them.
Is there a way I can eliminate the ant without dangerous chemicals?
Chuckie
Zone 5

Not everyone considers ants to be pests, but I don't care for ants in
the house either. There are ant traps and poisons to kill them. But
if you are interested in just repelling the ants you can puree hot
chili peppers and pour this as a barrier around doors, foundations,
and other places. Ants dislike aromatic plants such as mint,
lavender, chives, garlic, etc. I have used powdered lime or chalk to
repel ants (apparently it is irritating to them)--pulverized charcoal
and bone meal are also known to work.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Stacy Person

Phisherman wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 17:13:57 -0800, "Chuckie" wrote:

I being overrun with ants. They start coming into my house about this
time every year. I have chemicals and I use them but I hate to use
them.
Is there a way I can eliminate the ant without dangerous chemicals?
Chuckie
Zone 5

Not everyone considers ants to be pests, but I don't care for ants in
the house either. There are ant traps and poisons to kill them. But
if you are interested in just repelling the ants you can puree hot
chili peppers and pour this as a barrier around doors, foundations,
and other places. Ants dislike aromatic plants such as mint,
lavender, chives, garlic, etc. I have used powdered lime or chalk to
repel ants (apparently it is irritating to them)--pulverized charcoal
and bone meal are also known to work.

I got the "plant mint" advice last summer to take care of ants. The
ants loved the mint, and built their hill around it. Boiling water in
the ant hills works wonders, though.

Doesn't help the nasties that get in the house, however. We're coming
up on ant time, so I'm getting prepared.

Stacy
Grand Island, NY
Zone 5
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
Stacy Person wrote:

Doesn't help the nasties that get in the house, however. We're coming
up on ant time, so I'm getting prepared.

Stacy
Grand Island, NY
Zone 5

I place a few drops of oil on pennyroyal on or about our basement
exterior wooden supports. Use half an ounce per year sometimes every
other year. Also I mix boric acid powder available at your local drug
store with 5 or ten parts sugar. Same time frame. I place 1 oz. of
this mixture in containers and place about in basement and kitchen in
childproof areas, Up high or under cabinets.
Once had carpenters in by sons bedroom window sill. Drilled a small
hole placed a few drops of pennyroyal in, sealed the hole and the next
day they were gone. Make sure the smell is not offense before using it
if your basement is open to living areas.

Don¹t eat any of this stuff of course.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/ we own two.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Chuckie

Where do I get penneyroyal?

Old 07-04-2005, 11:08 AM
William Wagner

In article .com,
"Chuckie" wrote:

Where do I get penneyroyal?

Local Herb and flower shop would be my first choice.

http://search.ebay.com/pennyroyal-oil_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1

1 oz. should cost about $5 US and last two years depending on size of
target area. Doesn¹t kill ants just drives them away via smell. Smell
will be strong for awhile than slowly fade, I think it is better to use
too little then too much.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/ we own two.
Tell folks where to get your files FREE at http://www.DropLoad.com
"oeuf tôt pique " Lover "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"

[IMG] code is On

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM