Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
James

Default Hemlock v. Avorbortae / Which Best for partial shade?

I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these two
plants, Hemlock, or Avorbortae (not correct spelling, but close), would do
better in partial shade?

Thank you for any comments !!

--James--

Old 02-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Doug Miller

In article , "James" wrote:

I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these two
plants, Hemlock, or Avorbortae (not correct spelling, but close), would do
better in partial shade?

If you search Google using the correct spelling (arborvitae), you shouldn't
have much trouble finding the information you want.

--
Regards,

Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 PM
David J Bockman

The Hemlock.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Stephen Henning

"James" wrote:

I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these
two plants, Hemlock, or Avorbortae (not correct spelling, but close),
would do better in partial shade?

It depends upon how partial. Arborvitae will tolerate shade. Hemlock
demands shade. Arborvitae will tolerate poor soil and dry soil.
Hemlock demands good moist well drained soil.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 03-04-2005, 06:31 AM
sherwindu

I am considering replacing the two Arborvitae on the West side of my house with
Hemlocks because I have already replaced about 5 of Arborvitae when they died
on me. This location only gets the afternoon sun, which may have been a factor
in
the loss of these trees. I had Red Cedars growing in these places for over 20
years
with no problems. It could be the nursery stock is bad, or some other factor,
but I
think it is time to try a different variety.

Sherwin D.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:41:55 GMT, someone wrote:

If you search Google using the correct spelling (arborvitae), you shouldn't
have much trouble finding the information you want.

Yup. Think "arbor" (tree) and "vitae"(life). Tree of Life.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Ann

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:05:58 -0500, James wrote:

I have a spot for planting that gets partial sun/shade. Which of these two
plants, Hemlock, or Avorbortae (not correct spelling, but close), would do
better in partial shade?

Thank you for any comments !!

--James--

Look up: hemlock wooly adelgid