Old 03-04-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Vine that withstands freezing roots

I am looking for a vine that can withstand the cold in Zone 5 (Chicago)
in containers. I have 2 copper pots that are approx 36" high and 16"
square at the top (tapers down to base of about 8 " square). I am
looking to grow a vine (preferably fast growing) on a large trellis and
there is nowhere other than these pots to put it. I tried grape vines
and a couple of other things and they didn't make it through winter.
The location gets partial to full sun. The two pots need to cover a
trellis approx 20 feet long and 2 feet high above my fence.

I was considering clematis, but think that the metal containers will
make the roots get too warm, which I know they don't like.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 PM
simy1

I don't know that you have a chance to grow any vine in there. The pots
are small for a vine, first of all. Second, you are right that you lose
a lot of zones when you leave plants in pots outside. Just to give you
an idea, I lost all the lemon balm that I had planted in a much larger
pot outside (2.5 feet in each direction), with good thermal contact to
the ground, and lemon balm is hardier than grapes (and I live near
Detroit, which is warmer than Chicago). But the jujube which is in the
pot survives and thrives to this day. So, I am guessing that anything
hardy to Zone 3 will survive - I know of no vines that hardy. Perhaps
an annual vine, such as sweet potato? That way you can change the soil
every year and have it prosper.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM

I guess a possibility is growing something that gets cut back in the
fall and moving the pots to my garage. It is not heated, but will be
protected from the wind. I would need something that grows very
quickly though to cover the length of my trellis if it is going to
start from scratch each sprint.