Carnations that smell like Cinnamon?

Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Shaynelle

Default Carnations that smell like Cinnamon?

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some
gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL!
They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you
cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need
to cut them.

Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it
wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?

thank you!

Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
David Ross

Shaynelle wrote:

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some
gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL!
They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you
cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need
to cut them.

Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it
wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?

thank you!

Are you sure it wasn't cloves instead of cinnamon? Clove scents
are common in the Dianthus genus (pinks, so called not because of
their color but because their petals have toothed edges as if cut
with pinking shears), especially among the perennial pinks.
Carnations themselves (D. caryophyllus) are sometimes called clove
pinks.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Callen Molenda

"David Ross" wrote in message
Shaynelle wrote:

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some
gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL!
They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you
cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need
to cut them.

Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it
wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?

thank you!

Are you sure it wasn't cloves instead of cinnamon? Clove scents
are common in the Dianthus genus (pinks, so called not because of
their color but because their petals have toothed edges as if cut
with pinking shears), especially among the perennial pinks.
Carnations themselves (D. caryophyllus) are sometimes called clove
pinks.

I've had a carnation that smelled like cinnamon, not cloves; can't remember
the name but I think it was dianthus (the D. in the above?) something. Our
6 year old picked it out one year, and it was fairly hardy, as I recall.

Callen in VA

Old 10-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Vox Humana

"David Ross" wrote in message
Shaynelle wrote:

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some
gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL!
They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you
cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need
to cut them.

Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it
wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?

thank you!

Are you sure it wasn't cloves instead of cinnamon? Clove scents
are common in the Dianthus genus (pinks, so called not because of
their color but because their petals have toothed edges as if cut
with pinking shears), especially among the perennial pinks.
Carnations themselves (D. caryophyllus) are sometimes called clove
pinks.

The color "pink" is named after the flower..

Old 10-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Leon Trollski

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"David Ross" wrote in message

The color "pink" is named after the flower..

It's not the colour, it's the shape, after "pinking shears" used for certain
dress designs.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/10/05 2:43 PM, in article ,
"Callen Molenda" wrote:

"David Ross" wrote in message
Shaynelle wrote:

[...]

I've had Sweet Williams that smelled more cinnamon then clove.

Any which way - it is my favorite scented flower - so refreshing!
Cheryl

Old 11-05-2005, 05:21 AM
BearDrummer

they are used to keep the fabric from fraying.... not just for
design... but that is neither here nor there...

Old 11-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Frogleg

On 10 May 2005 10:05:11 -0700, "Shaynelle"
wrote:

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some
gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL!
They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you
cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need
to cut them.

Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it
wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?

Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllu) are also known as "Clove carnation"
for their distinctive scent.
Old 13-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Shaynelle

Thank you everyone, I will try the Dianthus caryophyllu - the
carnations I knew of did smell like cinnamon, but its possible this is
still the correct species. They were very hardy from what I recall,
they just kept coming back year after year with very little care.

Crossing my fingers these are the ones!

Thanks again!
Katherine