Old 29-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Frank Logullo

Default Lawnboy running eratically

Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it is
annoying and probably headed for the shop. Googling suggested adjusting nut
on carburetor but I can't find one. It's been in the shop before (about a
month before end of last season). Mower is 5 years old and used ~2 hr/week
in cutting season. I do all the suggested maintenance but they tell you
nothing about inner workings. When tuned, the damned thing uses gas like
crazy but when it settles down, gas usage goes way down which makes me think
there is some simple bottleneck/adjustment to carburetor. Any suggestions
would be welcome.
Frank

Old 30-04-2005, 06:16 AM
sherwindu

Excessive fuel consumption could be an improper air/fuel setting. The Lawnboy may
be a type where there are no external adjustments available, or they are buried somewheres inside
the carboretor. Uneven running could be the float in the carburator is sticking, not allowing the
chamber to evenly fill with fuel. One drawback of these inexpensive engines is that they are not
designed for easy maintenance.

Sherwin D.

Old 30-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Hound Dog

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message
Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it is
annoying and probably headed for the shop. Googling suggested adjusting
nut
on carburetor but I can't find one. It's been in the shop before (about a
month before end of last season). Mower is 5 years old and used ~2
hr/week
in cutting season. I do all the suggested maintenance but they tell you
nothing about inner workings. When tuned, the damned thing uses gas like
crazy but when it settles down, gas usage goes way down which makes me
think
there is some simple bottleneck/adjustment to carburetor. Any suggestions
would be welcome.
Frank

I've had that same problem from time to time.
Read on another newsgroup that the problem may be old or polluted gasoline.

Not sure that fresh gasoline is the answer to the problem, but as I remember
the problem never happens when the gasoline is no more than 2 or 3 weeks
old. Any older than that then the mower runs raggedy and jumps all over the
place.

I have started getting my gasoline in a gallon container instead of a two
gallon can and so far the problem does SEEM to be solved or at least much
improved.

Old 30-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Frank Logullo

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Excessive fuel consumption could be an improper air/fuel setting. The

Lawnboy may
be a type where there are no external adjustments available, or they are

buried somewheres inside
the carboretor. Uneven running could be the float in the carburator is

sticking, not allowing the
chamber to evenly fill with fuel. One drawback of these inexpensive

engines is that they are not
designed for easy maintenance.

I'm also open to suggestions on a better lawn mower. I have 0.8 acre,
mostly slopes, and tractor will not due since back is down a slope. I like
rear wheel drive and mulch all grass. I actually have 2 of these Lawnboys
but did not bring into discussion. Older is 10 years old and I thought it
was fine but when it got stuck in the shop for 3 weeks, I just bought
another as a back-up. I tried to disassemble and clean the carburator
before but apparently I also had a magneto problem and carburator was tough
for me to put back together. I don't mind paying for service but hauling
the mowers back and forth and waiting 3 weeks is a pain.
Frank

Old 30-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Robert Chambers

I'd also check the air filter for obstructions. A clogged air filter
can make the engine run rich and that would suck down gas pretty fast.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 AM
sherwindu

I'm also open to suggestions on a better lawn mower. I have 0.8 acre,
mostly slopes, and tractor will not due since back is down a slope. I like
rear wheel drive and mulch all grass.

I have had a Honda self propelled mower for over 20 years, and it still runs
good with regular normal maintenance. The Brigs engines seem to be stubborn
starters in cold weather, and they don't give you accessible external controls to
adjust the air/fuel, etc. The Honda is more expensive, but in my opinion, worth
the extra cost.

Sherwin D.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Frank Logullo

"sherwindu" wrote in message

I'm also open to suggestions on a better lawn mower. I have 0.8 acre,
mostly slopes, and tractor will not due since back is down a slope. I

like
rear wheel drive and mulch all grass.

I have had a Honda self propelled mower for over 20 years, and it still

runs
good with regular normal maintenance. The Brigs engines seem to be

stubborn
starters in cold weather, and they don't give you accessible external

controls to
adjust the air/fuel, etc. The Honda is more expensive, but in my opinion,

worth
the extra cost.

I'm tending in that direction. One of my son's used one of my Lawnboys for
a year before he had to get it serviced.
He bought a Honda and said it is far superior to the Lawnboy. Don't know
what my eldest son has but he said he bought a reconditioned mower from Home
Depot and has had no problem with it in 5 years. I think now my Lawnboys
are going to Goodwill next time they need repair.
Frank

Old 05-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Spud Demon

"Frank Logullo" writes in article dated Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:24:31 GMT:
Silverstone Lawnboy engine cycles up and down. Still cutting OK but it is
annoying and probably headed for the shop. Googling suggested adjusting nut
on carburetor but I can't find one. It's been in the shop before (about a
month before end of last season). Mower is 5 years old and used ~2 hr/week
in cutting season. I do all the suggested maintenance but they tell you
nothing about inner workings. When tuned, the damned thing uses gas like
crazy but when it settles down, gas usage goes way down which makes me think
there is some simple bottleneck/adjustment to carburetor. Any suggestions
would be welcome.

Many carb problems can be solved by adding a bottle of carb cleaner to the
gas. The more concentrated, the better, as long as there's still enough gas
in the mix to run.

This is especially applicable to problems that occur at the beginning of a
mowing season, after the engine was sitting all winter.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:27 AM
patg

I used to have a Sears mower. Did the same thing. Stuck fuel float on
mine.
Being too cheap to replace the float I used a special lawnmower rock.
A couple of taps on the fuel bowl keep the thing running for years.

The fuel float controls the amount of fuel going to the mower.
It's located in the fuel bowl. That's the thingy right before the carb.

Kinda looks like a kids teacup. Float is more than likely a little sticky.

Anywho, haven't been posting for the past couple of years, hope everyone is
well.

patg
roadkill001(at)yahool(dot)com
patsporch(dot)com

Old 06-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Frank Logullo

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
[...]

I'm trying that. Not sure if much help yet. Carb cleaner in fuel line or
directly in throat sounds good but goes back to cycling when it burns off.
Also wondering about 2 cycle oil I'm using (Pennsoil). Almost through a
gallon I got. A hell of a lot cheaper than Lawnboys but I will go back to
Lawnboys. Going to nurse mowers as far as I can and when they die, give to
Goodwill and buy a Honda. Don't mind paying repairs but had to make 3
roundtrips to shop last year with Lawnboys and it was a pain. Guess old
Briggs and Stratton el cheapo that lasted 25 years without going in shop
spoiled me.
Frank
Frank

Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Robert Chambers

Well the Briggs and Stratton aren't the same as they used to be either.
I got 12 years out of mine and I took good care of it. Towards the
end it just didn't have any power. I bought a Honda and haven't
regretted the decision. they are nice mowers, quiet, powerful and use
less gas in a month than my old B&S used in one mowing. The blade
system on the Honda's does a much better job of cutting the grass also.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Frank Logullo

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
. ..
Well the Briggs and Stratton aren't the same as they used to be either.
I got 12 years out of mine and I took good care of it. Towards the
end it just didn't have any power. I bought a Honda and haven't
regretted the decision. they are nice mowers, quiet, powerful and use
less gas in a month than my old B&S used in one mowing. The blade
system on the Honda's does a much better job of cutting the grass also.

You make an excellent point that we all need to know in that good products
can go bad. I had a Toro as that product line was going down hill and it
spent considerable time in shop getting repaired.

The Lawnboy when new or brought back to specs burns gas like crazy. Highly
annoying to me as bottom of my property is terraced, essentially 2 flights
down, and I run out of gas and have to trudge up the slopes for more ;(
Frank

Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Spud Demon

"Frank Logullo" writes in article dated Fri, 06 May 2005 18:23:19 GMT:
I'm trying that. Not sure if much help yet. Carb cleaner in fuel line or
directly in throat sounds good but goes back to cycling when it burns off.

To me that indicates that there is some kind of clog upstream of the fuel
line. Or bad fuel.

Also wondering about 2 cycle oil I'm using (Pennsoil). Almost through a
gallon I got. A hell of a lot cheaper than Lawnboys but I will go back to
Lawnboys. Going to nurse mowers as far as I can and when they die, give to
Goodwill and buy a Honda. Don't mind paying repairs but had to make 3
roundtrips to shop last year with Lawnboys and it was a pain. Guess old
Briggs and Stratton el cheapo that lasted 25 years without going in shop
spoiled me.

I don't see the point of putting a 2-stroke on a mower. For the same HP it
saves a little weight compared to a 4-stroke, but the thing's on wheels
anyway. And the exhaust stinks, which is why 2-stroke cars and motorcycles
aren't street legal in the US.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:54 PM

I bought a Honda HRC216HXA Commercial. Probablly overkill for what I
use it for. I am a home owner with perhaps 1/2 acres of lawn (may be a
bit more) on up and down, slopey terrain. It takes me about two hours
and 3 refils of the Honda to cut everythiing. I find that the mower is
easy to start, and the Hydrostatic control is nice in that you can
control the speed nicely, i.e. you "don't get scared" when the thing
does not run away from you. So far (two months) everthing as been super
reliable. I have used some older mowers in the past, all in England,
Hayter, ATCO, Flymo, Xenoh (RedMax overhere in the USA I think), That
was a while back (20 Years ago). I must admit this is one of the best
mowers I have used. My only surprise was the noise it makes. Maybe I am
getting old. I always wear eye and ear protection when using it.

Warmest regards, Mike.

[IMG] code is On

Lawnboy short block nick Lawns 3 06-07-2018 12:10 AM
Is there a chain store that sells Lawnboy air filters? ecarecar Lawns 0 24-04-2008 09:53 PM
Air Filter for Older Lawnboy ecarecar Lawns 7 06-05-2006 02:18 AM
LawnBoy gas tank leak AB Lawns 0 09-09-2003 03:02 PM
Lawnboy mowers brenda.herman Lawns 6 05-08-2003 02:02 AM