Japanese Maple Losing it's Leaves

Old 10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Art Lindquist

Default Japanese Maple Losing it's Leaves

Hello,

I have a 20yr old Bloodgood, Japanese Maple that has begun losing
all of it's leaves. We had a late frost here, early May and I'm wondering
if that may be the problem. We are also having drought conditions for this
early in the year. I gave the tree a good soaking as soon as I saw it's
condition but I fear it may not survive. If it is from the frost, will the
leaves return? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank You

Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Vox Humana

"Art Lindquist" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a 20yr old Bloodgood, Japanese Maple that has begun losing
all of it's leaves. We had a late frost here, early May and I'm wondering
if that may be the problem. We are also having drought conditions for

this
early in the year. I gave the tree a good soaking as soon as I saw it's
condition but I fear it may not survive. If it is from the frost, will

the
leaves return? Does anyone have any ideas?

Sound like the same conditions we have been experiencing in SW Ohio. My
Bloodgood JM is doing well despite the erratic temps and dry conditions. It
is so dry here that my sedum autumn joy (yes, I know it isn't sedum) wilted
yesterday.

If it is from frost, I think the leaves will return. Any signs of
anthracnose? I doubt that would cause a sudden drop of leaves, but the
stress of what ever caused the problem may set the stage for anthracnose.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:10 AM
[email protected]

its too early for maple anthracnose, and the japanese maples dont
typically become infected. The fact that the leaves are falling off
and not hanging on is a good sign. It is probably frost damage. If
you see leaves wilting and not falling off, it may be verticillium,
which is a fungal disease common to japanese maple.

toad

Old 11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
paghat

Yes, if there was a severe spring frost in April or May as the leaf-buds
are opening, a Japanese maple can become denuded. If frost is the cause, &
the tree was not already stressed, it should bounce back in time. Trees
can also lose all their leaves if not watered during a drought. Maples
almost always have some "emergency buds" held back for just such
emergencies, so it should produce some leaves pretty soon, & though
looking thin for the year will be fine next spring. The double whammy of a
drought AND frost could have killed it outright, you'll know if it
produces no leaves at all this year.

Never fertilize a stressed tree, you'll make it worse. While it is
stressed it will be more susceptible to disease or insect attack, so keep
an eye on it.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he