Old 15-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Registered User

Default red valerian

Hi,

Do you know when Red Valerian is on sale at garden centres?

Is it too early right now?

Also if I use seeds do the small seedlings get munched by the snails?

many thanks
Old 16-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post
Hi,

Do you know when Red Valerian is on sale at garden centres?

Is it too early right now?

Also if I use seeds do the small seedlings get munched by the snails?

many thanks
Hi coykiesaol, You know, im not quite sure if its commonly available at garden centres ? Its something, as a plant grower that im asked for all the time here in Cornwall but very rarely have ! As to its vulnerability to snails, my gut feeling is that no, they dont touch it, otherwise they wouldnt be so prolific on the walls down here. If snails readily ate them, I dont think they would do so well as they do ? as both valerian and snails seem to favour these old walls. Sow the seeds now, in a tray and place outside as soon as they germinate, the few that I have managed to produce have been from basal cuttings taken from the new spring growth of established plants when about 4" tall and when your plants have matured, divide the clumps every three years about this time of year as well.
best wishes, Lannerman