Old 05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
tenplay

Default Questions re buying a lawnmower

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

2. Most of them had Briggs-Stratton motors. One had a Honda motor.
The ones I am interested in are 5 to 7 hp with most being 6.5 hp. Any
thoughts on make and motor size?

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels.
Would the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any
other benefits?

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

Guess those are my questions for now. They are all in the $250-400
price range. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Betty Harris

Why don't you hire a neighborhood kid or a lawn service to mow it for
you? You would probably save money in the long run, expecially if you
put a realistic value on your time and labor. And you wouldn't have to
wrack your brain worrying if you bought the "right" mower.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Sterling

Dunno about this person posting but where I am, it costs $35 per clip,
once a week which generally it needs. So at roughly $140+ per month,
you'll pay for a mower pretty quickly.

Where did all the neighborhood kids go? Has anybody seen one who does
lawns lately? I haven't...

Betty Harris wrote:
Why don't you hire a neighborhood kid or a lawn service to mow it for
you? You would probably save money in the long run, expecially if you
put a realistic value on your time and labor. And you wouldn't have to
wrack your brain worrying if you bought the "right" mower.

I bought a DR mower (battery operated) and just love it. I have a fairly
big lawn and I have run this mower for 4 years without any problems.

I paid about $350 for mine and bought it because they showed a 'little
old lady' on the TV ads just chugging along with it. I figured I could
do that too and never regretted buying it. They offered free shipping
(both ways if you wanted to send it back) and a 6 months return policy.
I figured this had to be a pretty good product for them offer these
conditions. The only downside is you have to remember to recharge the
battery. It is very quiet.

Two of my friends also bought from them after trying mine.

http://www.drpower.com/ I have no relation to these people. I just LOVE
their mower!

Sterling in Atlanta
Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Betty Harris

From: Sterling
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:20:22 -0400
Subject: Questions re buying a lawnmower

"Dunno about this person posting but where I am, it costs $35 per clip,

once a week which generally it needs. So at roughly $140+ per month,
you'll pay for a mower pretty quickly."

As I said, *IF* you put a realistic value on your time. If your time
is worth $35 per hour and it takes an hour to mow the area, you will
never amortize the cost of the mower. And don't forget to count the
time getting gasoline for the mower, changing the oil, sharpening the
blade, buying gas stabilizer for winterization, etc, etc.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:19:36 -0700, tenplay wrote:

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

How large an area? Variable speed what? Variable ground speed or variable
motor speed. Ground speed variability is nice when dealing with overgrown
areas, detail mowing, etc. Motor speed (blade rpms) are usually best
left on the highest setting.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

I'd consider this issue a very low priority.

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

Got a bad shoulder? If so, rope starters can be difficult. But electric
ignition adds a battery and weight.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you interested in exercise, or just
getting it done as fast as possible? How often do you intend to mow?
What other problems are there in mowing this area (west of the Cascades,
in the PNW, you often have to mow damp grass or on damp soil part of the year,
for instance).

Personally, I'd be looking at engine quality and type (I hate two-cycle
engines) and the material the mower deck is constructed of, as my first
pass of selection.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 AM
sherwindu

tenplay wrote:

I have a large grassy weedy area that needs regular mowing. I went by
Sears last night and was floored with all the choices of mowers. Please
answer a few questions for me:

1. I am attracted to the self-propelled gas-powered models. What is
the advantage of a variable speed model over a single speed? The area
to mow is relatively flat with a couple of sizeable dips/depressions.

There are times when a fast speed works best, as when the grass is not
too high and dry. Other times, you may want to slow the pace down so
that the mower effectively does more cutting for any given length. I would
recommend a mulching mower, so speed determines effectively how much
mulching is being done. Also, it is nice to be able to set the mower to a pace
which matches your particular energy level at any given time. Any sizable
lawn would be handled best with a self-propelled model

2. Most of them had Briggs-Stratton motors. One had a Honda motor.
The ones I am interested in are 5 to 7 hp with most being 6.5 hp. Any
thoughts on make and motor size?

On bad thing about Briggs-Stratton motors that I have noticed on my neighbor's
mowers is that there is no accessible way to set a choke. My Honda has a
external control, to allow choking in cold weather. However, the Briggs engines are very
reluctant starters in cold weather, probably because they are preset for a nominal
outside air temperature, and there are no choke controls on the models I have seen.

3. Most had 21 inch cuts but a couple were 22 inches. It seems that
the 22 inch would do the work a little faster but may be less maneuverable.

4. Most had regular size wheels but a couple had large back wheels.
Would the bumpy terrain benefit much from the larger back wheels? Any
other benefits?

It might be a bigger factor on a self-propelled unit, which might get better
traction with the larger wheels.

5. One had a push-button starter while most started by pulling a
rope-starter. A couple said that they started faster and easier because
of a some kind of "hotter engine" technology.

As stated earlier, unless you have physical problems, a pull cord is superior.
A well designed engine should start rather effortlessly with a pull cord. My
20 year old Honda almost always starts on the first pull.

I agree with the idea of getting a 4-stroke model. They run smoother and
with less pollution. If the pattern with outboards is similar, the government
may step in soon and require this.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM

So you need to earn 60$ to have an after tax 35$ to pay.
Biff, not all of us are physicians driving a mercedes.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Toni

"Sterling" wrote in message
Dunno about this person posting but where I am, it costs $35 per clip,
once a week which generally it needs. So at roughly $140+ per month,
you'll pay for a mower pretty quickly.

Where did all the neighborhood kids go? Has anybody seen one who does
lawns lately? I haven't...

Plus the not inconsequential fact that lawn services mow your lawn when they
get to it- rain or any other weather can put them behind schedule to an
alarming degree.
I want my lawn done when it needs it or when I want things to look sharp-
not when someone gets around to it.

I love how a freshly mown lawn looks- everything is crisp and perfect. If I
had my way I'd do it every day- as it stands I do it three times a week in
the rainy season just so I can enjoy it. Try and find someone willing to
commit to *that*!

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Gloria

I had one with the big wheels and it was very heavy and way harder to push
than one with wheels all the same size. I'd never buy one like that again!
I've had a snapper self-propelled with several speeds that are easy to
change for 13 years with no problems at all with it. Mine has a high vac
deck a mulching blade with a mulching attachment that replaces the chute.

HTH,
Gloria

Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Gloria wrote:
I had one with the big wheels and it was very heavy and way harder to push
than one with wheels all the same size. I'd never buy one like that again!
I've had a snapper self-propelled with several speeds that are easy to
change for 13 years with no problems at all with it. Mine has a high vac
deck a mulching blade with a mulching attachment that replaces the chute.

HTH,
Gloria

The reel-type unpowered mowers are all ligher and easier to maneuver
than any power mower I've ever owened or used.

Two drawbacks
a) their maximum cutting height is generally 1-1/2", which may be too
short for your climate.
b) blades must be kept sharp, so you need a sharpening attachment and
have to develop the habit of using it.

You also have to cut more often, as they don't grind up the clippings
(like mulching attachments), but I don't consider that a drawback.

HTH