Old 22-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Ima Googler

Default Pruning Rose of Sharon bush/tree

Does anyone have any experience with pruning a Rose of Sharon? I have
several of them that have been neglected for many years and are
completly out of control and mixed with several other types of
bushes/trees. (it was this way when we moved into our house)

I need to go in and really prune the Rose of Sharon back and I'm
wondering how tough it is when it comes to losing 1/2 of its wood or
more. I'd appreciate any help on ways to minimize damage to the
tree. If I cut off the big limbs will smaller limbs branch out from
those points?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Old 22-06-2005, 04:32 AM
PatK

Ima Googler wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with pruning a Rose of Sharon? I have
several of them that have been neglected for many years and are
completly out of control and mixed with several other types of
bushes/trees. (it was this way when we moved into our house)

I need to go in and really prune the Rose of Sharon back and I'm
wondering how tough it is when it comes to losing 1/2 of its wood or
more. I'd appreciate any help on ways to minimize damage to the
tree. If I cut off the big limbs will smaller limbs branch out from
those points?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

They're very tough. I've got several on my property that get trimmed
back about halfway every year and still get much bigger than they were
the year before. They're almost as hardy as the dang honeysuckles which
are almost impossible to kill. I wouldn't worry about trimming it back.
It should come out of it fine.

Pat
Old 22-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Ima Googler

Thanks for the reply! I'm really glad to hear this. I absolutely
love the Rose of Sharons and I really didn't want to destroy it.

We have been cleaning up our much overgrown property and I've been
amazed at how many shrubs/trees that when hacked to the ground will
just pop right back up looking better than they did before.

I can only hope my ROS responds as well as my crepe myrtle and
euonymous.

Old 23-06-2005, 12:27 AM
PatK

Ima Googler wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I'm really glad to hear this. I absolutely
love the Rose of Sharons and I really didn't want to destroy it.

We have been cleaning up our much overgrown property and I've been
amazed at how many shrubs/trees that when hacked to the ground will
just pop right back up looking better than they did before.

I can only hope my ROS responds as well as my crepe myrtle and
euonymous.

I've not had any trouble. In fact, I've got so many sprouts of ROS that
I could fill up an entire yard. I have to go out and pull them up every
few days or so or they would take over. G

Pat

Old 23-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Ima Googler wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with pruning a Rose of Sharon? I have
several of them that have been neglected for many years and are
completly out of control and mixed with several other types of
bushes/trees. (it was this way when we moved into our house)

I need to go in and really prune the Rose of Sharon back and I'm
wondering how tough it is when it comes to losing 1/2 of its wood or
more. I'd appreciate any help on ways to minimize damage to the
tree. If I cut off the big limbs will smaller limbs branch out from
those points?

Thanks in advance!
Kim

===================
Every 3 years I severly cut mine back, as much as 4 - 6 feet. I do it
in late fall and it sure doesn't seem to affect the ROS at all. Come
back nice and bushy :0)

To anyone with double flower ones, do the seeds seem as viable - IE a
trillion ROS growing from the seeds? I know two that have double
flower ones and I really don't see any "offspring" around, yet on
single flower ones, look out LOL.

Old 27-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Wendy Goldberg

Rose of Sharon has a surprisingly deep tap root. The life of the plant is in
the root. You can prune the top of a Rose of Sharon very hard, and it will
come right back. These plants are tough, in my experience. If you cut the
limbs back to a dormant bud on the limb (look for a bump on the bark), the
new shoots will come from that.
Wendy

oups.com...