Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Jim Carlock

Default Sunflower flopping...

I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like
the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12"
bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is
1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good
for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and
is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in
something?

Thanks.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
m...
I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like
the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12"
bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is
1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good
for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and
is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in
something?

Thanks.

Does it still follow the sun? Is the stem kinked or is it still round? I
thought that sunflowers tended to "nod" when they got that big but, heck, I
can't grow them that big in the red clay of Indiana so I've sort of
forgotten.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Jim Carlock

"Rev "Fragile Warrior"" questioned:
Does it still follow the sun?

Nay, it's just flopping now. Real nice flower on it. It's a heavy bloom
too.

Is the stem kinked or is it still round?

The stem is round... or rather semi-oval. The bloom opened to the
east and it started to lean east and it appears that the weight of the
bloom and the constant bending is weakening whatever exists inside
of the stem.

I thought that sunflowers tended to "nod" when they got that big

g Yeah it's definitely got a nod, the bloom is pointing straight
down now, gazing at the leaves below it. I don't know if the
nod is supposed to continue getting worse. It certainly looks
like it will, I mean with the constant strain of the weight of the
flower and the "nod" already introduced.

It's the second sunflower that did this. So I'm guessing that it's
just the natural way it goes. I thought I should ask and see if
anyone might say something different.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jim Carlock said:

I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like
the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12"
bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is
1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good
for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and
is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in
something?

Once the seeds set in the sunflower disc, the flower nods over to
protect them from the rain, etc.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 02-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Jim Carlock

"Pat Kiewicz" commented:
Once the seeds set in the sunflower disc, the flower nods
over to protect them from the rain, etc.

Thanks Pat. I was starting to think it was getting too much water
and was becoming water heavy. I'm posting some pics dated
dated from 6/23/2005 to 7/2/2005 of the sunflower...

Old 03-07-2005, 12:26 PM
SVTKate

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
m...
:I am on my second sunflower and it's starting to flop like
: the first one. This one grew straight up, presented a nice 12"
: bloom and reached 6'6" in height. The base of the stem is
: 1" wide and goes to about 5/8" near the top. It looked good
: for about a week but now the flower appears too heavy and
: is bending. Is this common or could there be a deficiency in
: something?
:
: Thanks.
:
: --
: Jim Carlock
: Please post replies to newsgroup.
:
Nice photos Jim,
I have a stepping stone that looks just like it. My favorite stone.

All of the sunflowers I have ever had grew like this, They seemed to get
heavy and nod when they matured.
There came a point that I would snip the heads and let them dry for the
birds, always a hit in the back yard.

Kate

Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Jim Carlock

"SVTKate" wrote:
All of the sunflowers I have ever had grew like this, They
seemed to get heavy and nod when they matured.

Thanks, Kate. This one sure is taking a very deep nod. g

There came a point that I would snip the heads and let
them dry for the birds, always a hit in the back yard.

Do they produce seed after you snip them?