Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Old Sarge

Default anyone growing tomatoes?

Rich
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Stubby

Old Sarge wrote:

Rich

In MA, I have 3 Rutgers, a Roma, a Yellow Peach, and a currant tomato.
All have small fruits.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
DigitalVinyl

brandywine, cherokee purple, black plum, celebrity, and I've got
volunteers of Sweet 100 coming up all over. I've got one more variety,
can't recall.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Stu Pittasso

I ha no idea that sweet 100s will do that. I have about 4 2 ft. high plants
that came up this year where I planted them last year!
Stu

Old 01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Jean B.

Stubby wrote:

Old Sarge wrote:

Rich

In MA, I have 3 Rutgers, a Roma, a Yellow Peach, and a currant tomato.
All have small fruits.

Also in Mass., I have decided to stick with plants with small fruits
this year....

--
Jean B.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:34 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Stu Pittasso" wrote:

I ha no idea that sweet 100s will do that. I have about 4 2 ft. high plants
that came up this year where I planted them last year!
Stu

I had two plants planted together and had a 6-7 foot tall bush with
the tops flopping over and running back down the outside of the cages.
literally, hundreds of tomatoes. I estimate 40-50% burst on the vine,
dropped, or fell while harvesting. I developed a huge ant colony at
the base of the plant. It was gross, some days the ground was a
jiggling black carpet. With that level of waste I just decided to skip
them. But they came back. I've had well over a dozen volunteers. I've
decided to let a few survive in containers. Maybe if contained they
wouldn't be so messy.

.. .

Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Bill R

Stu Pittasso wrote:
I ha no idea that sweet 100s will do that. I have about 4 2 ft. high plants
that came up this year where I planted them last year!
Stu

I haven't planted any Sweet 100s for about 6 years yet I
have PLENTY of them every summer (even though we have had
winters with temperatures below zero). This year I decided
not to compose the extra plants but instead gave them to my
neighbors kids (or grand kids). Just yesterday a neighbor's
five year old proudly reported that he has "four tomatoes
and lots of flowers" (tomato blooms).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 AM
BattMeals

Old Sarge wrote:

Rich

Four varieties: 2 roma, 1 cherokee purple, 1 cherry, and 1 stupice. The
stupice has ripe fruit aready (central coast CA, planted mid-April).
All have fruit. The cherokee purple seems very susceptible to
fasciation, affecting almost half of the flowers.

-matt