Old 07-03-2003, 05:20 AM
jammer

Default Creeping jenny question

I am a wussy gardener. When i watch gardeners on TV slice right
through the roots of a plant, i cringe. It just looks like it would
hurt and certainly kill the plant. (I know it depends on the plant)

My question. I am supposed to "devide the root ball" of my creeping
jenny plant. I do not want to kill this plant! I want some on land to
grow over into the pond for a natural toad ramp So i just remove it
from the pot, lay it down, and slice it in half from top to bottom and
re plant? Sounds brutal and way too easy Sure i won't kill it? The
plant in question is in the pond, so i hope it is adaptable to land. I
know they grow in both places, the caladium i had on land last year,
died in the pond, so i am assuming some plants don't like the wet/dry
treatment.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

Toughen up!! Many plants (lots of perennials!) benefit from this type of
handling and most have incredible durability to rough or even improper
treatment. As long as each section has a good, healthy collection of
roots, you will not harm the plant. And you certainly cannot harm creeping
jenny by this process - I doubt a direct nuclear attack would affect this
plant adversely.

pam - gardengal

Old 07-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Penny Morgan

Creeping Jenny is the one plant you won't have to worry about killing. You
could divide a small pot of it into several sections and it would survive.
We call it "invasive", sort of like periwinkle (vinca vine). If you plant
it near a pond, it should really take off because of the ample supply of
water. I planted a 4" pot size of it in my perennial bed, and by the
following season, it had spread a good 10 feet in diameter. It is beautiful
because it hugs the ground and is so bright in it's lime color, but be
careful that it doesn't invade or take over other plants. In my case, it
sent runners right up through my Cheddar Pink Dianthus (I love the powder
blue foliage on these). It also started creeping out of the bed and onto
the lawn. I use Creeping Jenny in several planters for both winter and
spring plantings.

Anyway, if it's a small 4" pot, cut it in half. If it's larger, quarter it.
Trust me, it will grow into much larger sections once it's planted in good
soil. Use a large sharp knife to make a clean cut and try to hold the roots
and soil together when moving to the planting hole. You could also give it
a shot of liquid fertilizer, once planted, to help it along.

Let us know how the plants are doing a year from now.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 07-03-2003, 09:44 PM
jammer

Thank you Pam and Penny, I will toughen up now, ok?
I am heading out back with a knife and some determination and only a
teeny weeny TINY bit of fear
But of course i trust you
Have a great day, juls zone 7A

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:27:05 GMT, "Penny Morgan"
wrote:

Creeping Jenny is the one plant you won't have to worry about killing. You
could divide a small pot of it into several sections and it would survive.
We call it "invasive", sort of like periwinkle (vinca vine).

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
jammer

[IMG] code is On

Mice & Rats advise for Jenny C. keith ;-\) United Kingdom 15 16-01-2005 06:50 PM
creeping jenny?? sophie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-06-2004 03:22 PM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
Caterpillar on creeping Jenny Pickle United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 11:21 PM
Creeping Jenny planting depth Gail Futoran Ponds 5 26-05-2003 06:32 PM