Old 29-07-2005, 01:47 AM
paghat

Default "Pride of Place Plants" Moron or Lunatic

At my gardening website, I gave a good review to a plant I obtained in a
local nursery. Today I received this bizarre letter from the liscensing
authority for this plant who believes I am in "contravention of the law"
-- wadda maroon:

------

Notice of Patent Entitlement
The U.S. Patent Office has assigned Gaura lindheimeri 'Crimson
Butterflies' the Patent Number 13189. The Patented product,or the
packaging or labeling for the product,when the product itself cannot be
marked,must be marked with the patent number. A marking such as " U.S.
Patent No. PP13189 " or " Pat. PP13189 " is deemed as an adequate notice.

Currently your firm's name does not show on any of our licensed growers
customer lists. If you are propagating your own liners you are in
contravention of the laws. Please contact our office if you feel you are
in contravention of the law.

Sincerely
Rick Sorenson
Pride of Place Plants Inc.
Sidney, British Columbia
Fine New Plant Introductions.

----------

To which I replied:

You can't tell a garden blog from a nursery? You can't take a good review
without getting your pants up your crack? Next time you feel like
harranguing your betters, upturn some cowflops & harrangue whatever you
find under those.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 29-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
[...]

I get the feeling you were spotted by a robot, not a human being reading
your review.

Old 29-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Ed Clarke

On 2005-07-29, Doug Kanter wrote:
"paghat" wrote in message
news

[...]

No, the thing that's probably got his/her knickers in a twist is the
paragraph on propagation methods for this particular variety. It's
possibly illegal to root cuttings from a patented plant, even if you're
doing it for yourself. Note: I'm not a lawyer and only remember this as
an example of a stupid law.

It doesn't say Paghat has propagated anything on her website, just gives
a generic method for cuttings and warns that seeds from this variety
will not breed true.

--
This signature left blank.
Old 29-07-2005, 06:04 PM
paghat

On 2005-07-29, Doug Kanter wrote:
"paghat" wrote in message
news

[...]

It's 100% legal for gardeners to propogate the plants they grow whether by
division, cuttings, seeds, including patented trademarked cultivars so
long as it is not done for commercial purposes.

The idiot who wrote that e-mail has since apologized for his confusion &
for jumping the gun with entirely the wrong assumptions.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 30-07-2005, 08:49 PM
madgardener

I LOVE IT!!! It just goes to show you that people tend to jump sometimes
without looking first. sheesh. You've got a great website and I'm
surprised that someone is attempting to harrange you. .Way to go. You put
'em in their place and I'm sure they're slightly singed from the subtle
slice of your wit and retort. Eventually I'll write to the newsgroup and
give a flower update. Have you had problems in the past with Lemon Queen
helianthus returning but not as lush and as thick as the year before? Mine
tend to reseed themselves and the parent plant doesn't seem to be where all
the flowers and stalks are coming from but rather reseeded daughter plants
that fall when the finches strip the seed heads and drop some on the ground.
This year, my Lemon Queen returned, but not near as lush as it was last
year. Or is it that the fig tree is crowding the original plant and I need
to lift her toes out of the corner of the fig box and put her somewhere
else? Thanks in advance. I don't begin to assume I know all the
horticultural answers and value your responses and insights.

madgardener up on the steamy and humid ridge, back in soaked and saturated
Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain which is shrouded in a haze of
humidity and heat, in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36
news