Old 16-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Melissa

Default What is this flower

Anyone know what these are? They grow wild around here.
http://dim.com/~melissa/photos/What%...d%20flower.JPG

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
http://melissasliberty.blogspot.com/

DOESN'T EVERYONE DESERVE A BILL OF RIGHTS?
The last best hope for a liberty.
A subscriber Bill of Individual Rights with the goal of enlisting
the support of hundreds of millions of people all over the world.
http://upalliance.blogspot.com/
http://upalliance.org/

http://lakewoodcolorado.net/school.htm
Old 16-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Phred

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:53:23 -0500, Melissa
scribed:

Looks like some kind of wild Lily? We have the same shape and type
flower here called Tiger Lilys, but are orange color. Nice flower
anyway. I would keep them unless they are raiding the garden. They do
tend to spread loosly...

Freddie

Old 16-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Melissa

Phred wrote :

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:53:23 -0500, Melissa
scribed:

Looks like some kind of wild Lily? We have the same shape and
type flower here called Tiger Lilys, but are orange color.
Nice flower anyway. I would keep them unless they are raiding
the garden. They do tend to spread loosly...

Freddie

Anyone know what these are? They grow wild around here.
http://dim.com/~melissa/photos/What%...0weed%20flower
.JPG

They're not big enough for lilies, are they? Tese flowers are
maybe 1/2" long.

Old 16-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Paulo da Costa

Melissa wrote:
Phred wrote :

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:53:23 -0500, Melissa
scribed:

Looks like some kind of wild Lily? We have the same shape and type
flower here called Tiger Lilys, but are orange color. Nice flower
anyway. I would keep them unless they are raiding the garden. They
do tend to spread loosly...

Anyone know what these are? They grow wild around here.
http://dim.com/~melissa/photos/What%...0weed%20flower
.JPG

They're not big enough for lilies, are they? Tese flowers are
maybe 1/2" long.

Lilies have six petals, not five. This looks like a bellflower (Campanula).

Old 16-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Campanula rapunculoides

Its an attractive but aggressive weedy species introduced from Europe. It is
not a native wildflower.

http://images.google.com/images?q=ca...earch +Images

. 97.142...

Old 16-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Cereus-validus.......

If you don't know enough basic botany to be able to distinguish a dicot from
a monocot, you should not be guessing the ID of plants. There is absolutely
nothing liliaceous about the plant. Its a Campanula.

Old 16-07-2005, 07:53 AM
presley

RUN RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Campanula rampunculoides - often called cancer of the garden. It will send
tiny tendrils through the soil 10 feet or more. Pulling up the leaf on top
will only encourage it to send up leaves from any point along the root.
. 97.142...

Old 16-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Ann

"presley" expounded:

RUN RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Campanula rampunculoides - often called cancer of the garden. It will send
tiny tendrils through the soil 10 feet or more. Pulling up the leaf on top
will only encourage it to send up leaves from any point along the root.

Absolutely. I hate that damned thing. It came in with a peony from
my mother's garden - I've been battling it ever since. It has a huge
root way down deep, unless you get that, it'll keep coming back.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Melissa

Ann wrote :

"presley" expounded:

RUN RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Campanula rampunculoides - often called cancer of the garden.
It will send tiny tendrils through the soil 10 feet or more.
Pulling up the leaf on top will only encourage it to send up
leaves from any point along the root.

Absolutely. I hate that damned thing. It came in with a
peony from my mother's garden - I've been battling it ever
since. It has a huge root way down deep, unless you get that,
it'll keep coming back.

Thanks guys, it's growing wild all over the neighborhood, and
it's very pretty.

Old 17-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Popcorn Lover

"Cereus-validus......." wrote :

Campanula rapunculoides

So how can someone bring it from the neighbor's lawn, to their own
yard?

--
- Popcorn Lover
If you love popcorn too, there are no popcorn groups on usenet but

Old 17-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Ann

Popcorn Lover expounded:

So how can someone bring it from the neighbor's lawn, to their own
yard?

Why would anyone want to? This plant is horribly invasive and almost
impossible to irradicate.
Old 17-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Popcorn Lover

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

So how can someone bring it from the neighbor's lawn, to their
own yard?

Why would anyone want to? This plant is horribly invasive and
almost impossible to irradicate.

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

Old 18-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Ann

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Purple
loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our native wetland plants,
like Lobelia cardinalis, the cardinal flower. I just hate to see
anyone spread such an invasive plant.
Old 18-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Popcorn Lover

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think it's
pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our native
wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the cardinal flower.
I just hate to see anyone spread such an invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

Old 20-07-2005, 03:00 AM
enigma

Popcorn Lover wrote in
. 142:

Ann wrote :

Popcorn Lover expounded:

If it's all over the neighborhood already and they think
it's pretty, they would want it.

Education is key. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Purple loosestrife is 'pretty' yet it's decimating our
native wetland plants, like Lobelia cardinalis, the
cardinal flower. I just hate to see anyone spread such an
invasive plant.

This isn't the wilds, it's the burbs of Lakewood, Colorado.

right. and it's an *invasive* plant. the point being that you
canNOT control it's spread. you may think it's pretty, but
will your neighbors? how about the people in the next town
over? or in the next state? you can't keep it from invading
the wild.
and yes, invasive weeds *do* travel that far. purple
loosestrife expands it's range at something like 25
miles/year.
lee
--
war is peace