Weeping Cherry Tree died suddenly

Old 22-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Oscar_Lives

Default Weeping Cherry Tree died suddenly

I planted a weeping Cherry tree early this spring. It has done well in the
flowerbed, despite the drought and heat (I water it good). Anyway, a week
ago, some of the leaves started to turn brown, and now they all all brown.

Any ideas?

Old 23-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Anthony

"Oscar_Lives" wrote
I planted a weeping Cherry tree early this spring. It has done well in

the
flowerbed, despite the drought and heat (I water it good). Anyway, a week
ago, some of the leaves started to turn brown, and now they all all brown.

Any ideas?

Weeping Cherries, can be a sensitive to start. I had one I planted earlier
this year, and decided to move it. Had the same symptoms as you describe,
mine came through. Don't give up on it yet.

Depth is important, if you planted it too deep, this could be part of the
problem. Also, the hole you dug needs to be quite a bit bigger than the
container it came out of. They're kind of sensitive to, too much water, 5
gallons a day is enough.

Check to see if you have any new buds, you'll have to look close, and they
do bud out this time of year. If you have _any_, your tree probably is
going to be ok.

I would try a small about of fertilizer, preferably something you add to
water, so you don't do any further harm.

In the future, whenever you plant, consider _Mycorrhizal_ while planting.
This is the real deal, no snake oil.

Old 23-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Oscar_Lives

"Anthony" wrote in message

"Oscar_Lives" wrote
[...]

I hit it with the root stimulator when I planted it last Spring.

We did get 5 inches of rain after a long drought. The flower bed is
well-drained, though.

I'll keep an eye on it and not yank it out yet.

Old 23-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Anthony

"Oscar_Lives" wrote
I hit it with the root stimulator when I planted it last Spring.

We did get 5 inches of rain after a long drought. The flower bed is
well-drained, though.

I'll keep an eye on it and not yank it out yet.

Something else to consider, is where you are located & where the tree
originated from. In the spring, we haul in our weeping cheeries out of
Georgia, we are in the Midwest on the Ohio/Michigan border. Reason we haul
them in from the south, they blossom and flush out early, something the
contractors and nurseries are after instead of selling a bare tree. Later
in the spring, we get the home grown stuff to sell because of the later
flushing. The trucked-in trees begin to lose their foilage & or color
change earlier than the home grown.

? Sudden death, 10 year old cherry tree zxcvbob Gardening 10 12-08-2005 04:52 AM
Cherry Tree? Nel United Kingdom 16 12-07-2005 04:06 PM
Cherry tree and insects Dan Welch United Kingdom 1 01-06-2005 05:03 PM
Cherry Tree Leaf Spot/Powdery Mildew questions. TQuinn Gardening 2 05-09-2004 12:16 AM
Too late to prune cherry tree? subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 3 11-03-2003 12:12 AM