Tecumseh Engine won't keep running

Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Terry Cox

Default Tecumseh Engine won't keep running

I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with a
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won't
continue to run without pushing the primer button. Any ideas?

--
Terry Cox
Terry Cox's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=111

Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
G Henslee

Terry Cox wrote:
I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with a
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won't
continue to run without pushing the primer button. Any ideas?

Find a more humane way to kill the old fart.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM

"Terry Cox" wrote in message

I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with a
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won't
continue to run without pushing the primer button.

You've answered your own question. When you push the primer button it pumps
fuel into the carburetor. So it is likely not getting enough gas.
Check for blockages in the tank and line. Pull the carb, disassemble and
clean it. Fill with fresh fuel.

Barren

Old 04-10-2005, 03:20 PM
[email protected]

i agree with barren,, also,pay particular attention to the passage in
the bowl nut, it feeds gas when running.lucas

Old 04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
G Hensley

i agree with barren,, also,pay particular attention to the passage in
the bowl nut, it feeds gas when running.lucas

Is it part of the TOS for webtv users to talk to themselves?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:51:26 -0400, Terry Cox
wrote:

I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with a
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won't
continue to run without pushing the primer button. Any ideas?

Try loosening the gas cap to see if the gas tank is building
pressure preventing gas flow.

Thunder
Old 31-10-2005, 05:23 AM

I have the same problem . My husband took apart the float assembly and found
the float hard a leak in it . It could not float so the gas did not flow in
.. It was a real pain getting the float out and in again . ( patience ( their
is a needle valve attached to the top of the float that goe up in to adjust
gas flow . It is free seated on top and it take a stedy hand and we used
hemostats to slide the pin back in which hold the floats on . If you have
any more questions drop us a line and we could go into more detail . The
flaot only costs a few dollars but it did the trick a pin hole caused it to
fill up with gas and it stayed down floading the engine. It works great now

Old 31-10-2005, 06:41 AM

wrote:

I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with a
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won't
continue to run without pushing the primer button. Any ideas?

Try loosening the gas cap to see if the gas tank is building
pressure preventing gas flow.

Thunder

It could not float so the gas did not flow in

In that case it would flood.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Mel M Kelly

If the float had hole in it it would just keep letting in more gas. I
hate those things. Normaly I won't work on a Tecumseh but once in a
while I am forced to. I have taken the jet out of the carb and cleaned
it and the bowl and put it back and got it to run OK. Give me a Briggs
anytime.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 21-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: pakistan

I'm aware of the fact that Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton both use plastic timing parts in their OHV engines. I'm not too crazy about plastic parts in engines. Should I be concerned about both companies' OHV engines because of this? Are the Tecumseh L-Head engines a good design? All metal parts? How about the stories I hear about L-Heads blowing rods (or is this just a matter of keeping your oil full and clean?) Should I trust the L-Head more than any OHV engine? I kind of get this impression from a couple of small engine mechanics I've talked with. Are larger engines a potential mechanical problem? I'm thinking of engines larger than 10 or 11 horsepower. A small engine mechanic told me that such a larger engine could invite more potential problems, but I can't exactly remember what he said without misquoting him.I'll probably be back again with more questions. In the meantime, thanks for any help on these latest ones.