Filling in 'dips' in lawn

Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 AM
[email protected]

Default Filling in 'dips' in lawn

"Scott L." wrote:
Peter -

Thanks for the advice. Im a bit worried that it will be too deep for the
grass to come up through it, so I'll seed it at the same time.

Will the new topsoil firm up once the grass starts growing, or should I
compact it just a bit before planting the new seeds?

If it's new fluff,compact it to the point of not making divits when you
walk on it.

Score it with a landscape rake,just before sowing.

What seed are you using? How many sg ft?

--
Go#40 42 12 God Bless Our Troops
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 AM
[email protected]

"Peter H" wrote:
The grass you bury will come up through the fresh soil as long as it's
not too deep, but you may want to overseed the area to make sure that it
fills in.

(snip)

Don't exceed one inch..the exsisting grass will die. Don't matter,re-plant.

Old 27-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Die Spammer !!!

"Scott L." wrote:

Greetings -

I have a couple of 'dips' in my lawn - areas where several square feet are
several inches below the rest of the lawn. Grass is growing there
currently. What is the best way to go about filling these holes, so they
are up to grade with the rest of the lawn? I thought about just filling it
with topsoil, but do I need to remove the grass there first? Should I till
it up first? Should I tamp the topsoil down, or just leave it in there
loose, then reseed?

Thanks for any help!

=Scott L.

I put down some "loam" according to what the nursery said. It looks like dirt
but must be a special blend. I think I had the same size low spots as you. I
poured a bunch of loam /dirt on the low spots and leveled it out with a hard
rake to where I thought it was level with the rest of the dirt in the yard. I
knew that the rains would help the dirt settle and make the new dirt a bit
lower then the original dirt , but knew that I could add more dirt later if
need be. Now is the time to put down more seed if you think you want the grass
to fill in quickerr.

The rains have settled the dirt that I put down so I can spread some seed then
spread a bit more dirt to finalize the leveling.

Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Scott L.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 02:36:06 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

"Scott L." wrote:
Peter -

Thanks for the advice. Im a bit worried that it will be too deep for the
grass to come up through it, so I'll seed it at the same time.

Will the new topsoil firm up once the grass starts growing, or should I
compact it just a bit before planting the new seeds?

If it's new fluff,compact it to the point of not making divits when you
walk on it.

Score it with a landscape rake,just before sowing.

What seed are you using? How many sg ft?

Thanks for the reply. Its only a few sq' feet, maybe a 5'x'5 area or so.
Ill do what you suggested, fill it in, tamp it down, score and re-seed. Im
not sure what kind of grass I have now in my front lawn - its some type of
fescue, though. Im planning on overseeding soon, with some kind of blend
mixture.

=Scott L.
Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Tim Fischer

"Scott L." wrote in message
newsan.2003.03.26.14.32.57.644236@nospameudorama il.com...
Greetings -

I have a couple of 'dips' in my lawn - areas where several square feet are
several inches below the rest of the lawn. Grass is growing there
currently. What is the best way to go about filling these holes, so they
are up to grade with the rest of the lawn? I thought about just filling it
with topsoil, but do I need to remove the grass there first? Should I till
it up first? Should I tamp the topsoil down, or just leave it in there
loose, then reseed?

The best way to do this is to topdress it no more than an inch -- let the
grass come through, and repeat until you have the correct level. This takes
more time, but provides the best results overall.

Alternately if the area is small enough, you can "peel back" the turf, add
soil underneath, and lay it back on top.

-Tim

Old 28-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
Huh?

Did I stutter? I said:

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
Alternately if the area is small enough, you can "peel back" the turf,
add soil underneath, and lay it back on top.

What part of this was unclear to you? If you have a small indention, such
as a 2x2' dip, it's relatively easy to cut the turf (e.g. an "x" cut), and
some dirt underneath, and replace the turf on top.

-Tim

Old 28-03-2003, 01:20 PM
[email protected]

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
wrote in message
Huh?

Did I stutter? I said:

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
Alternately if the area is small enough, you can "peel back" the turf,
add soil underneath, and lay it back on top.

What part of this was unclear to you? If you have a small indention,
such as a 2x2' dip, it's relatively easy to cut the turf (e.g. an "x"
cut), and some dirt underneath, and replace the turf on top.

-Tim

You don't have a friggin clue what you're talking about.

Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
You don't have a friggin clue what you're talking about.

Exactly what is your problem as of late? In the past you've given good
advice, but yesterday you decide to instead attack everything I write?

I can assure you I DO have perfect "clue" what I'm talking about. Just
because you don't understand the techniques (which are simple) isn't my
problem.

Pray tell, why wouldn't this technique work?

-Tim

Old 29-03-2003, 12:08 AM
[email protected]

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
wrote in message
You don't have a friggin clue what you're talking about.

Exactly what is your problem as of late? In the past you've given good
advice, but yesterday you decide to instead attack everything I write?

I can assure you I DO have perfect "clue" what I'm talking about. Just
because you don't understand the techniques (which are simple) isn't my
problem.

Pray tell, why wouldn't this technique work?

-Tim

Stick to teaching the dog to lift his leg when he takes a leak. It doesn't
kill the turf then. lol

Old 01-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Andrew Perl

Tim does know what he is talking about. You can use a flat-bladed shovel to
score around the area. Then use the shovel to lift the grass, like making
your own sod. Fill the area until level and replace the grass. You will have
to treat the grass just a new sod until the roots re-establish themselves.

I have used this method to level small areas in my lawn. It is too labor
intensive for large areas. I would suggest repeated top dressings if you are
a patient person. If you are looking for more immediate results, then fill
in the area and then reseed.