Does Fertilizer Go Bad?

Old 14-04-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Does Fertilizer Go Bad?

I'm about to move to another city, and I have several bags of
fertilizer that are about 2 years old. They've been kept in an outdoor
but covered environment, so while there has been no direct water
contact, they have been exposed to central NC humidity (resulting in
some "clods" within the bags).

I'm wondering if the chemicals have expired, meaning I shouldn't even
bother moving them to my new house, or if they are ok to take so I
don't have to buy new fertilizer for the new lawn.

Thanks for your help!
Frank

Old 14-04-2006, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Squanklin wrote:

I'm about to move to another city, and I have several bags of
fertilizer that are about 2 years old. They've been kept in an outdoor
but covered environment, so while there has been no direct water
contact, they have been exposed to central NC humidity (resulting in
some "clods" within the bags).

I'm wondering if the chemicals have expired, meaning I shouldn't even
bother moving them to my new house, or if they are ok to take so I
don't have to buy new fertilizer for the new lawn.

Thanks for your help!
Frank

Not sure, but I believe fertilizer should be good for just about forever.

--
Art
Old 15-04-2006, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Squanklin" wrote:
I'm about to move to another city, and I have several bags of
fertilizer that are about 2 years old. They've been kept in an outdoor
but covered environment, so while there has been no direct water
contact, they have been exposed to central NC humidity (resulting in
some "clods" within the bags).

I'm wondering if the chemicals have expired, meaning I shouldn't even
bother moving them to my new house, or if they are ok to take so I
don't have to buy new fertilizer for the new lawn.

Thanks for your help!
Frank

Do they also contain a control product?
Old 15-04-2006, 11:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 14 Apr 2006 07:45:57 -0700, "Squanklin" wrote:

I'm about to move to another city, and I have several bags of
fertilizer that are about 2 years old. They've been kept in an outdoor
but covered environment, so while there has been no direct water
contact, they have been exposed to central NC humidity (resulting in
some "clods" within the bags).

I'm wondering if the chemicals have expired, meaning I shouldn't even
bother moving them to my new house, or if they are ok to take so I
don't have to buy new fertilizer for the new lawn.

Thanks for your help!
Frank

If it does go 'bad', does it start to smell 'good'?
Old 17-04-2006, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Squanklin" wrote in message oups.com...
I'm about to move to another city, and I have several bags of
fertilizer that are about 2 years old. They've been kept in an outdoor
but covered environment, so while there has been no direct water
contact, they have been exposed to central NC humidity (resulting in
some "clods" within the bags).

I'm wondering if the chemicals have expired, meaning I shouldn't even
bother moving them to my new house, or if they are ok to take so I
don't have to buy new fertilizer for the new lawn.

What's the worst that could happen? We just had a shed clearout and found
some old fertilizer and grass seeds and have spread it out over the grass.
We watered it all well and even this morning this grass looks better