White Tips on Grass

Old 22-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default White Tips on Grass

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

Old 22-04-2006, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:53:28 -0700, "Connie"
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Were you cutting in the morning?

hth,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old 23-04-2006, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Sounds logical but golf course greenskeepers cut early in the morning
prior to a day's play. Can you explain that?

Old 23-04-2006, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Sounds logical but golf course greenskeepers cut early in the morning
prior to a day's play. Can you explain that?

reel mowers that are very well maintained sharpened and backlapped
often. not like your typical home owner.
Old 23-04-2006, 02:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Sounds logical but golf course greenskeepers cut early in the morning
prior to a day's play. Can you explain that?

imho:

1. Golf courses have to cater to their customers, so afternoon
lawnmowers running over old-guys is bad PR.

2. Golf courses HEAVILY water their grass, so the tips can heal
without drying up.

kinda makes sense?

tom
Old 23-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Sounds logical but golf course greenskeepers cut early in the morning
prior to a day's play. Can you explain that?

reel mowers that are very well maintained sharpened and backlapped often.
not like your typical home owner.

Agreed. Reels can be sharpened and adjusted to cut the thinnest and
flimsiest of papers, finer than can be cut with many scissors. Rotary mowers
usually have blades that are no sharper than the edge of a torn aluminum
beer can. Yes, they're going to slide against the grass blade a bit before
it finally cuts.
I used to operate a National Triplex machine on a football field until a
know-nothing supervisor wanted to spend 15k USD on a hydraulically operated
rotary mower. The field has never been cut properly since the reel mower has
gone.

Tom

Old 23-04-2006, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

I've heard people complain about blades losing their edge after a few
cuttings, if the grass is very wet, or the mower is left outside.

Might want to just check how sharp your blade is.

I remember something told to me, and I do it. I only mow in the
afternoon, closer to evening. When a blade is cut, it should have
time to heal/seal before full sun again. So don't cut in the morning.

Sounds logical but golf course greenskeepers cut early in the morning
prior to a day's play. Can you explain that?

reel mowers that are very well maintained sharpened and backlapped
often. not like your typical home owner.

Yeah.. true, I'd forgotten that.

Old 24-04-2006, 01:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Connie" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know what causes white tips on grass. Our mower blade was
just sharpened. We just fertilized. Could it be from that?

Thanks

A band -"The Tubes"- did a number titled "White Punks on Dope". Y'might
google them up.