Leveling ground

Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Leveling ground

Hello,
After many years of neglect I have decided to make a new lawn in the back garden.I have cleared brambles roots etc, removed what old grass there was left and now want to level the ground.The area is 22 x 4m approx and is bordered by a concrete path down the long side and patio paving at the rear of the house.
My question is should I make the ground level with the path/patio or perhaps slightly lower to allow for the height of the grass?
Appologies if this seems a stupid question but I am by no means a gardener!
Thanks in advance

niloc
Old 10-05-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by niloc
Hello,
I have cleared brambles roots etc, removed what old grass there was left and now want to level the ground.
niloc
ahhhhhh HELP...Ive been shoveling/raking dirt around the garden now for 2 hours and its no flatter than it was in the first place! Ooops thers another weed.... more large stones, the heal of my boot has just made a 3 inch hole in the ground.
How flat is flat?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

niloc wrote:
Hello,
After many years of neglect I have decided to make a new lawn in the
back garden.I have cleared brambles roots etc, removed what old grass
there was left and now want to level the ground.The area is 22 x 4m
approx and is bordered by a concrete path down the long side and patio
paving at the rear of the house.
My question is should I make the ground level with the path/patio or
perhaps slightly lower to allow for the height of the grass?
Appologies if this seems a stupid question but I am by no means a
gardener!
Thanks in advance

niloc

Don't you have to allow for tamped stone too?

--
30/GB/Month http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:

niloc wrote:
Hello,
After many years of neglect I have decided to make a new lawn in the
back garden.I have cleared brambles roots etc, removed what old grass
there was left and now want to level the ground.The area is 22 x 4m
approx and is bordered by a concrete path down the long side and patio
paving at the rear of the house.
My question is should I make the ground level with the path/patio or
perhaps slightly lower to allow for the height of the grass?
Appologies if this seems a stupid question but I am by no means a
gardener!
Thanks in advance

niloc

Don't you have to allow for tamped stone too?

I took it to mean s/he has an existing concrete walk and patio, and wants to
redo only the neglected yard/garden area. So he is asking how far below
the top of the sidewalk/patio should s/he should dig/rake/level the dirt
after weeding/burning/tilling.

--
v/r,
C-F
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER
I took it to mean s/he has an existing concrete walk and patio, and wants to
redo only the neglected yard/garden area. So he is asking how far below
the top of the sidewalk/patio should s/he should dig/rake/level the dirt
after weeding/burning/tilling.

--
v/r,
C-F
collinsd_kc.rr.com
Yes exactly that but does anybody have the answer?

niloc
Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"niloc" wrote in message

CANNON-FODDER Wrote:
I took it to mean s/he has an existing concrete walk and patio, and
wants to
redo only the neglected yard/garden area. So he is asking how far
below
the top of the sidewalk/patio should s/he should dig/rake/level the
dirt
after weeding/burning/tilling.

--
v/r,
C-F
collinsd_kc.rr.com

Yes exactly that but does anybody have the answer?

niloc

what sort of grass are you growing? How well draining is your soil? I have
truf rye and fescue and the grass grows a little higher than the paths, a
couple of cms. The grass itself bushes and I have encouraged that so whilst
the ground level is roughly level with the path or slightly under it, the
stems of the grass and the green growth sticks above it. The grass may be a
little over thatched however that does not worry me greatly, I have a good
supply of worms that do a job in eating it down and moisture percolates
through the soil well. When I mow I run the wheels the the mower along the
path and it makes no discernible difference to the grass. Some people
recommend a slight fall off to the grass to allow water to run off the
paths. I don't have much of a problem with this as my soil is very well
draining. If you have heavy soil which does not drain well having it at path
level will leave the water little place to go quickly whereas dropping the
soil level down a bit will create a place for the water to go and slowly
drain away.

rob

Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I think the primary concern should be to avoid a problem when driving a
lawnmower or walking across the sod and hard surfaces. You want to have a
safe and easy transition.

Make the ground level with the hard surface. If you're going to put in sod
rathr than seed, level the lawn so that the grass blade base is at the same
level as the patio. The reason is not for the health of the grass, but to
make it easier to move a lawnmower, cart or wagon across the area without
having to lift it up to clear the hard surface, and to prevent a tripping
problem. Don't make the grass surface higher than the hard surface because
rainfall may tend to collect and run off down the hard surface rather than
soak into the lawn.

Also, although no one's mentioned it, make sure you have it graded properly
so that drainage runs away from the house or other structure and does not
cause a problem for your neighbors. You may also want to consider creating
a subtle swale to better direct the water in the right direction.
Regards --