Old 23-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
mo

Default Flys on holley tree

Hello,
last year I planted a holley tree in back yard.
No flowers at time of planting only some berries.
This year(spring) I noticed many small white flowers
have bloomed and they are covered with what seems to
be many many house flies.
Any advice on why they are on holley and how to get rid and prevent
them from comming back? Thanks

Old 23-05-2006, 08:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:29:51 +0000, mo wrote:

Hello,
last year I planted a holley tree in back yard. No flowers at time of
planting only some berries. This year(spring) I noticed many small white
flowers have bloomed and they are covered with what seems to be many many
house flies.
Any advice on why they are on holley and how to get rid and prevent them
from comming back? Thanks

Good day Mo, believe it of not the flies are nectaring on your flowers.
They are not causing harm to the plant, nor is it likely a breeding site
for them either. If you find the flies too much to handle for some reason,
you could get a fly trap and hang it on the tree. Be warned that if you
do, your Holly may not produce a good berry crop as the flies are helping
to pollinate the tree.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info/
Old 23-05-2006, 09:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
mo

thanks very much for info!

Old 25-05-2006, 04:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"mo" wrote in message
Hello,
last year I planted a holley tree in back yard.
No flowers at time of planting only some berries.
This year(spring) I noticed many small white flowers
have bloomed and they are covered with what seems to
be many many house flies.
Any advice on why they are on holley and how to get rid and prevent
them from comming back? Thanks

Holley bushes come in male and female versions. You need one of each.

Old 25-05-2006, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Srgnt Billko said:

"mo" wrote in message
Hello,
last year I planted a holley tree in back yard.
No flowers at time of planting only some berries.
This year(spring) I noticed many small white flowers
have bloomed and they are covered with what seems to
be many many house flies.
Any advice on why they are on holley and how to get rid and prevent
them from comming back? Thanks

Holley bushes come in male and female versions. You need one of each.

Or, a neighbor has to have one. I have a single Ilex opaca which blooms and
produces berries each year, despite no other holly nearby.

--
Eggs

-How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its
advice.

Old 26-05-2006, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
mo

same here, there are already green berries and
no other holley tree in area.

What is This on my Holley? jim evans[_2_] Gardening 3 20-03-2011 05:04 AM
Horse flys David Hill United Kingdom 18 26-06-2003 06:44 PM
Horse flys David Hill United Kingdom 15 25-06-2003 09:20 PM
Flys on Gardena bush David Shalita Gardening 2 16-04-2003 06:08 PM
Helga, help me with my flys? Katt Stevens Gardening 5 06-02-2003 03:44 PM