Old 16-07-2007, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Tomato leaves turning yellow

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 16-07-2007, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 16, 3:59 pm, dgk wrote:
Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mine were yellowing with spots. Needed a good shot of fungicide
suitable for vegetable use.
Frank

Old 17-07-2007, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dgk said:

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

If it were aphids, you'd see them. Do you?

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

What are your watering practices? Over, as well as under-watering will
cause what you describe.

Do the leaf veins show any sign of turning purple (a sign of psyllids)?

Pull back a bit of soil at the base. Do the roots show any sign of rotting
(a sign of Fusarium oxysporum)?

Are the plants VFN (disease-resistant variety)?

Are you growing the plants in the same location as the ones you had trouble
with, last year? (REAL bad idea)

It could be a lot of things. Watering practices can mimic other problems,
which is why it was my first question. =)

--

Eggs

-For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.
Old 17-07-2007, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:59:52 -0400, dgk wrote:

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

There is another thread with the same subject right above this one.
Just look at the answere there for some good advice.

Old 17-07-2007, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

valvejob said:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:59:52 -0400, dgk wrote:

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

There is another thread with the same subject right above this one.
Just look at the answere there for some good advice.

WTF are you talking about? The OP's post is the newest thread in this
group. There are no other recent threads dealing with the same problem.

--

Eggs

Is it possible to be totally partial?

Old 17-07-2007, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:59:52 -0400, dgk wrote:

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Copied for alt.edible.gardens

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the
brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

Old 17-07-2007, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I sounds like Early Blight to me. Get a good general purpose fungicide
and mist the leaves late in the evening once a week . If you water just
water the ground not the plant. Add 1/2 aspirin per gal. of spray also.
Next year start with the spray every week after you plant.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 19-07-2007, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:10:43 -0700, Frank
wrote:

On Jul 16, 3:59 pm, dgk wrote:
Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mine were yellowing with spots. Needed a good shot of fungicide
suitable for vegetable use.
Frank

The thing I bought is for insects and fungi. Maybe I should just get
something for fungi. That's not likely to kill cats (or me!).
Old 19-07-2007, 03:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:57:56 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

valvejob said:

[...]

Oh good, I didn't find it either. He must mean another group. I do
search the newsgroups before posting and was surprised that the
question didn't seem to surface before.
Old 19-07-2007, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:35:21 -0500, valvejob wrote:

[...]

That looks a lot like mine.

Old 19-07-2007, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:05:44 -0400, (Mel M Kelly)
wrote:

I sounds like Early Blight to me. Get a good general purpose fungicide
and mist the leaves late in the evening once a week . If you water just
water the ground not the plant. Add 1/2 aspirin per gal. of spray also.
Next year start with the spray every week after you plant.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Asprin? Good for hearts, good for tomatos. Spray the leaves or just
the base?
Old 19-07-2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:08:40 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

dgk said:

[...]

Thanks, much to check out when I get home. I do pretty much grow them
in the same place though I move the exact spot around. I have a small
yard and outside of ripping up some bushes and such, I am limited
since these pretty much need lots of sun. There just isn't that much
room. I'm thinking of running a path of tomato plants right through
the middle of the lawn next year but I get flack from the Significant
Other when I mention it.

Watering is a concern. I just read a whole bunch of tomato watering
tips and apparently watering from the top, as I've been doing by
sprinkler, is a bad idea. Everyone says water at the roots. I think
I'll put a soaker hose back there and limit the sprinkler to the
grass.

I've been trying to water in the morning but mostly water in the
evening. Another bad idea apparently. Hopefully the soaker hose
concept will take care of that.

I was out sick the last two days; yesterday as I lay in bed I listened
and watched a thunderstorm dump three inches of water in two hours. I
won't water for a while I think. Good deep watering there. Some of it
ended up in my basement.

I think perhaps you're very right about the watering situation. I'll
worry about that first. No, I have seen no aphids. I'll look with a
magnifying glass but I don't see any on the plants.

They should be VFN. I think that's all they sell at Garden World. I
have two cherries, one grape, two Big Boy, one Beefsteak, one Early
Girl, and one Roma (plum), The grape and roma are looking the worst.
The cherries are all over the place and look very good. Early Girl has
one turning red. Beefsteak looks good but I have a lot of trouble with
them; they seem to rot easily and grow weird. But they taste great if
you trim off the bad parts.

The Big Boys are lagging behind this year but have started to have
fruit and I have high hopes.

I'll check the various problem areas you highlighted but I think you
hit the water can.
Old 19-07-2007, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

dgk said:

[...]

Something to keep in mind, with limited space, is that tomato plants do
very well in containers. I've grown them in 5gal pickle buckets before, and
they did great.

Watering is a concern. I just read a whole bunch of tomato watering
tips and apparently watering from the top, as I've been doing by
sprinkler, is a bad idea. Everyone says water at the roots. I think
I'll put a soaker hose back there and limit the sprinkler to the
grass.

The roots take up much more moisture than the leaves. About the only time
that I top-water things is when feeding with a liquid fertilizer.

I've been trying to water in the morning but mostly water in the
evening. Another bad idea apparently. Hopefully the soaker hose
concept will take care of that.

I water my tomato and pepper plants via a soaker hose buried in the bed. =)
You can also pick up a cheap hose timer. I use a 4-gang valve at the
spigot, and off one of the gangs I use one of these:
http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_i...products_id=67
It's relatively cheap, and is fully programmable (7 day). Something to
think about. =)

I was out sick the last two days; yesterday as I lay in bed I listened
and watched a thunderstorm dump three inches of water in two hours. I
won't water for a while I think. Good deep watering there. Some of it
ended up in my basement.

Ack!

I think perhaps you're very right about the watering situation. I'll
worry about that first. No, I have seen no aphids. I'll look with a
magnifying glass but I don't see any on the plants.

You won't need a glass. They're not solitary insects. If there's aphids,
there'll be a bunch of them.

They should be VFN. I think that's all they sell at Garden World. I
have two cherries, one grape, two Big Boy, one Beefsteak, one Early
Girl, and one Roma (plum), The grape and roma are looking the worst.
The cherries are all over the place and look very good. Early Girl has
one turning red. Beefsteak looks good but I have a lot of trouble with
them; they seem to rot easily and grow weird. But they taste great if
you trim off the bad parts.

Are they rotting at the blossom end? That's quite common. This may help:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

The Big Boys are lagging behind this year but have started to have
fruit and I have high hopes.

All of my toms are lagging this year. I thought I was doing something
wrong, but after a visit to the local farmer's market, you'd think tomatoes
were gold.

I'll check the various problem areas you highlighted but I think you
hit the water can.

Ya, it sounds like a big part of the problem, but it also sounds like you
know how to correct it. There's still hope. =)

Good luck.
--

Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
Old 19-07-2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Just mist the leaves with the fungi and aspirin late in the evening. I
do mine once a week all season.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 19-07-2007, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Try varities that aren't bothered so much. First Lady II and Galioth are
to good ones.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley