Old 15-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Brigitte J.

Default Winterizing Gas Lawnmower?

I have 2 gas lawnmowers, and I have no idea what I need to do to them, so
that they will operate properly in the spring when I'll need them again.
Should I drain the gasoline? Put in an additive? What about the oil? Does
it need to be drained? Any suggestion/advise are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte J.

Old 15-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Jin B. Zhou

as far as I know you should run the mower until it runs out of gas and
stops,
and then drain all the engine oil.
That said, I myself rarely do that but I swear that i will do it this year.

Old 15-11-2002, 03:53 AM
Brad

I agree with running it dry (best way to take care of a carburetor,) But DO
NOT drain the engine oil unless you replace it. Doing so is just asking for
problems.

Old 15-11-2002, 05:41 AM
Chas Hurst

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
I have 2 gas lawnmowers, and I have no idea what I need to do to them, so
that they will operate properly in the spring when I'll need them again.
Should I drain the gasoline? Put in an additive? What about the oil?

Does
it need to be drained? Any suggestion/advise are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte J.

Mix fuel stabilizer with gasoline and fill the tank. Run the engine to draw
that mixture into the engine.Drain the oil, and refill. Remove the sparkplug
and add a small amount (tsp) of oil into the spark plug hole. Replace the
sparkplug. You're good to go next spring.

Chas Hurst

Old 15-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Jin B. Zhou

Good to hear different things. Maybe different manufacturers have
differerent recommendations.
But my CraftsMan manual says the oil should be drained lest it may left
gunks in the engine.
But I don't know whether it makes a difference that you fill it immediately
after the drain and fill it in the spring
when you start using it.
jb

Old 16-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Rich

I've done what Chas said for 7 years. I've never had a problem. Don't drain
the gas because the carb gaskets dry out.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Ken Shelton

Put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel and run engine a few minutes.

Leave Oil in the engine then change at the beginning of the season, if you
change the oil now condensation may set in anyway over the winter and should
be changed in the spring.

Ken Shelton

Old 24-12-2002, 03:05 AM
KEVIN M QUINLEY

Where would you buy "fuel stabilizer"? I've never seen such a thing. Would
a Home Depot have something like that? Thanks!

Kevin

Old 28-12-2002, 07:19 PM
lois

Target

Old 06-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Andrew Perl

I use a brand called STABIL and it has worked for the last ten years. I also
agree withthe advice of changing the oil in the spring. I always do this
before I mow for the first time.

Andrew Perl in Kansas City

Old 06-01-2003, 01:44 AM

"Andrew Perl" wrote:
I use a brand called STABIL and it has worked for the last ten years. I
also agree withthe advice of changing the oil in the spring. I always do
this before I mow for the first time.

Right on both,Andy.

50GB/Month
Old 06-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Ray

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
I have 2 gas lawnmowers, and I have no idea what I need to do to them,

so
that they will operate properly in the spring when I'll need them

again.
Should I drain the gasoline? Put in an additive? What about the oil?

Does
it need to be drained? Any suggestion/advise are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte J.

First, let me say that I like the comments about StaBil - it is a good
product - and is usually available at any of the sources named, plus
WalMart and Meijer . . . but the question and it's responses side-
tracked the discussion and failed to completely answer Brigitte's
question. So, back on topic . . .

Winterizing a lawn mower . . . as was mentioned, quite well in fact,
about all you are interested in at this time of year is possibly adding
some stabilizer to the fuel . . . however, since what fuel 'in the mower'
will most likely evaporate as it sits, adding the stabilizer there is not
as important as adding it to any fuel left in your gas can for the winter.
It will prevent the fuel from separating and actually filling the can
before it is stored will help to prevent condensation in the fuel next
spring.. The fuel cans and the mower should be stored out of direct
sunlight for the winter (this too will help prevent condensation as
they will suffer less drastic temperature changes.)

Come spring . . . before the first use, you should do a few things.

1. Check the blade for sharpness and nicks . . . the better the
condition and the sharper the blade, the better the cut.

2. Drain and replace the oil before it's first use. (Small tip here -
when you decide it's time for this, move the mower to a place
where it is in direct sunlight - on a warm sunny day - and let
it sit for an hour or two before starting. The sun will 'warm' the
engine and the oil will become smoother and flow/drain easier
and more completely.

3. Replace your mower's air filters (or at least inspect and clean
them)

4. Remove and inspect the spark plug. If there are deposits or
build up on the plug, you can clean it with a wire brush
(preferably a 'brass' one). Check the plug 'gap' with feeler
gauges (available at auto parts - and they will show you 'how'
if you don't know) before you reinstall it. . . . if in doubt
about the plug's condition - replace it. They are inexpensive
And readily available in all the locations already named.

5. Clean the mower very well, and lightly oil or grease (a spray
lubricant works well) the control leads pivot points 'and' the
wheels around the wheel axles.

6. Last tip - if there is fuel left in the tank - before you run it 'top
up the tank' with fuel. (If this was fuel stored for the winter,
shake the can before opening it and adding it to the mower).
Adding fuel to what is there will cause a mixing effect and you
will find it runs more smoothly . . . also, for this 'first tank' let
the mower run until it runs out of gas. This will burn everything
through and you will be starting fresh with you second tank.

One word about StaBil - In Lowes and Home Depot, it 'will' be
with the mower and tractor supplies . . . but in Target, WalMart
Meijer, KMart . . . it 'will not' be in lawn and garden, but will be
located in their auto parts section - with the dry gas and other fuel
and oil products.

Never store gasoline or other explosive fuels inside the home.

Be safe.

Hope this helps.

(Posted and Mailed)
Ray