Laying grass seeds

Old 25-02-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Laying grass seeds

I was told that if you put grass seeds in a bucket of water for 24 hours before sowing - this helps give them a helping hand . Is there any truth in this?
Old 25-02-2008, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
wibble

I've heard of this practice too. However, the question I would ask
is, suppose it is of some benefit, then what? I know how to
effectively seed using dry grass seed. For example, you can very
easily and effectively do it with a slice seeder, which gets the seed
into good soil contact. How are you going to seed using a bucket of
slop?
Old 25-02-2008, 06:34 PM
mor mor is offline

Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I was told that if you put grass seeds in a bucket of water for 24 hours before sowing - this helps give them a helping hand . Is there any truth in this?
the reasons for soaking grass seed in a bucket of water is that it helps to retains good moisture .to retain the moisture you need to continue by Covering the last seed with grass clippings in place of soil.
Old 25-02-2008, 08:41 PM

Good point - trader4 - there would certainly be one soggy mass of seeds - I assume you have to spend a fair amount of time raking, raking, raking.........
Old 27-02-2008, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"wibble" wrote in message

Good point - trader4 - there would certainly be one soggy mass of seeds
- I assume you have to spend a fair amount of time raking, raking,
raking.........

Seems a lot easier to rake, spread, rake lightly again, and then set up a
sprinkler on a timer to keep it damp during dry periods.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM

The best way to ensure germination is good seedbed consolidation after sowing.
Make sure the seed is in intimate contact with the soil, that way the seed will be able to draw consistant moisture to germinate and develope.
Soaking in a bucket of water may serve to pre germinate the seed but seedlings wont grow if they cant get roots down into the seedbed.
TheGrassSeedStore.co.uk