Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered User

Default Lawn plant - grass or weed?

My lawns, having been cut but otherwise neglected by the previous owner, are being taken over by either a small grass or grass-like weed, which I cannot identify from various Google sites.

Apart from appearing to be a small variety of grass with a leaf span of perhaps 30 to 40 mm, the leaves themselves are slightly wider and darker than normal grass, and have a slight white fur within them. But the main identifier at this time of year is the single seed stalk 40 to 50mm high, with a pair of dark drown seed heads.

So at this present time large areas of lawn are covered with these dark brown upright seed heads.

Identification is the first priority, but advice to deal with it would also be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
BarryF

It's virtually impossible to identify a plant without at least seeing
a photo. We don't even know the area it's in. What grows in
Wisconsin and what grows in Florida or Ireland can be very different
things.

Have you tried applying a broadleaf lawn herbicide? Spray some and
see what happens. If it works, then it won't matter what it is. If
not, if there is an agricultural extension service in your area,
taking samples to them should work.