Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Apple Tree

Hi all,
We would like to plant some apple trees in our back yard. Our local Home
Depot & Lowes store has some dwarf trees for sale, The trees are about 5 ft
tall & look pretty much just like twigs. My question is does anyone know
how long trees like this will take to grow & produce fruit? Thanks for
reading my post.
Big Duke

Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
We would like to plant some apple trees in our back yard. Our local Home Depot
& Lowes store has some dwarf trees for sale, The trees are about 5 ft tall &
look pretty much just like twigs. My question is does anyone know how long
trees like this will take to grow & produce fruit? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

I planted 3 trees last spring, and allowed 1 apple to grow on the one that had
fruit. My trees are semi-dwarf trees, which will grow larger than the dwarf
ones. You might want to think about the area you have, and how big you'd want
the trees to get to choose the right size. Then look into the varieties that
grow well in your area and meet your desires for apple types. Then look at the
local diseases and bugs, and which varieties resist them. I highly recommend
going to a real nursery for this info. They will have better prepared info,
better trained people, and more choices of trees. Saving $10-20 on a fruit tree
is poor economy if it doesn't meet your needs. It can be a lifetime investment.

Don't buy a tree for the varieties in the store unless you really love them. The
less common varieties are often way better.

Old 13-04-2008, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
We would like to plant some apple trees in our back yard. Our local Home
Depot & Lowes store has some dwarf trees for sale, The trees are about 5
ft tall & look pretty much just like twigs. My question is does anyone
know how long trees like this will take to grow & produce fruit? Thanks
for reading my post.
Big Duke

We were surprised at how big our dwarf fruit trees got. And we were told to
plant 10' apart - that turned out to be too close.

Old 13-04-2008, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
We would like to plant some apple trees in our back yard. Our local Home
Depot & Lowes store has some dwarf trees for sale, The trees are about 5 ft
tall & look pretty much just like twigs. My question is does anyone know
how long trees like this will take to grow & produce fruit? Thanks for
reading my post.
Big Duke

We were surprised at how big our dwarf fruit trees got. And we were told to
plant 10' apart - that turned out to be too close.

And that's another issue. Did you get what it said it was?