Old 16-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Registered User

Default Mowing a recently sown lawn

I seeded a lawn (from scratch) about 3 weeks ago. The grass is now between about 7 & 13 cm high. Should I give it its first mow or wait a while longer?

Also there is a certain patchiness (I probably could have distributed the seeds a little more evenly); will this even out over time or are there some measures I should take?

Thanks in advance,

LETMO.
Old 16-04-2008, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"LETMO" wrote in message

I seeded a lawn (from scratch) about 3 weeks ago. The grass is
now
between about 7 & 13 cm high. Should I give it its first mow or
wait a
while longer?

Also there is a certain patchiness (I probably could have
distributed
the seeds a little more evenly); will this even out over time or
are
there some measures I should take?

Thanks in advance,

LETMO.

I'm no expert, but I have read years ago, that one should mow newly
seeded grass as soon as there is something to mow, and raise the
mower for the second mowing, etc until you have grass at the desired
height. This is supposed to help the grass spread.

Bob-tx

Old 16-04-2008, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 16, 8:41*am, "Bob" wrote:
"LETMO" wrote in message

I seeded a lawn (from scratch) about 3 weeks ago. *The grass is
now
between about 7 & 13 cm high. Should I give it its first mow or
wait a
while longer?

Also there is a certain patchiness (I probably could have
distributed
the seeds a little more evenly); will this even out over time or
are
there some measures I should take?

Thanks in advance,

LETMO.

I'm no expert, but I have read years ago, that one should mow newly
seeded grass as soon as there is something to mow, and raise the
mower for the second mowing, etc until you have grass at the desired
height. *This is supposed to help the grass spread.

Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

You don't specify what type of grass it is, but for typical cool
season lawn grasses, It should be mowed when it's about 7.5cm.
Cutting it does encourage it to grow faster.

As for being patchy, it depends on 2 things. One is what exactly you
mean by patchy. If it's small spots of 10 cms or so, yes the grass
will grow to fill in. If it's patchs of a meter in diameter, then
likely not, or at least not at a rate you will like.

The other factor is the type of grass. Kentucky Bluegrass will spread
via rhizomes, so it can fill in larger bare areas over time. With
clump type grass, eg fescues, the individual plants can expand to fill
in smaller areas, but it can't cover wider areas like KB will. If you
have an agressive grass like Zoysia, it can spread and cover anything
given enough time.
Old 17-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Apr 16, 8:41*am, "Bob" wrote:
"LETMO" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the replies.

The grass is "Arid 3 - Turf Type Tall Fescue"

Autumn sown peas Ed Gardening 7 25-10-2008 09:56 AM
Autumn sown peas Ed Edible Gardening 7 25-10-2008 09:56 AM
Autumn sown peas Ed United Kingdom 7 25-10-2008 09:56 AM
Using Vermiculite on top of newly sown seeds Merryterry United Kingdom 1 11-04-2008 06:16 PM
Newly sown grass tezgreen Lawns 4 17-05-2007 01:06 PM