Old 19-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Registered User

Default lawn drainage

i have a fenced square relatively flat lawn that is south facing, it gets the sun most of the day, however i have found that the lawn doesnt drain very well at all and even in the summer is quite damp and the back 40 % of the lawn is thick with moss. i have dug a few inches down and it does appear to be some clay present.

i have been advised to do several things including:
a 2ft by 2ft soakaway at the lowest point { not really an option as i have other gardens surrounding me and i fear affecting them as a result of this},

a herringbone drainage system to an existing drain :
either using a: garden liner based 4inch trenches filled with fine chipings
or b: circular porous drainage pipes in the above mentioned 4inch trenches { a costly possibillity},

and { the easiest option and possibly cheapest in my case } to rotivate in a couple of tonnes of sand, level the lawn and start again with seed or turf.

im really stumped as what best to do as i want to do it "right" first time and not have to be looking on here for answers this time next year again!

any advice would be great! cheers!
Old 19-05-2008, 09:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

--
THETWYS

Not only do not have the answer to which option is the best for your
problem which sound like mine, i have another reasonable appearing
suggestion given to me; lay down 1/4 inch of crushed rock (not gravel,
which is rounded, you need the sharp edges, they tell me) and another
1/4 inch of good compost on top of that and reseed.
Old 21-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by z View Post
On May 19, 1:26*pm, THETWYS
wrote:
[...]

.................................................. ................................................
hi mate thanks for your reply! that is indeed a new idea! have you done it yourself? does it work? im seriously open to suggestions! i ve had other advice from other forums and this is a new possibility! any rough info on the cost would be great! thanks for your time in replying!~ the twys!
Old 22-05-2008, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On May 20, 7:28*pm, THETWYS
wrote:
z;793047 Wrote:

On May 19, 1:26*pm, THETWYS
wrote:-
[...]

.................................................. ..........................*......................
hi mate thanks for your reply! that is indeed a new idea! *have you
done it yourself? does it work? im seriously open to suggestions! i ve
had other advice from other forums and this is a new possibility! any
rough info on the cost would be great! thanks for your time in
replying!~ the twys!

--
THETWYS- Hide quoted text -

haven't tried it but am seriously thinking of it. might just do a
limited test in one corner.
Old 23-05-2008, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Not only do not have the answer to which option is the best for your
roblem which sound like mine, i have another reasonable appearing
suggestion given to me; lay down 1/4 inch of crushed rock (not gravel,
which is rounded, you need the sharp edges, they tell me) and another
1/4 inch of good compost on top of that and reseed.

Sorry but a 1/4 inches of any gravel will do nothing, in fact try to find
any gravel that is less than 1/4 inches in diameter that can be spread other
than stone dust also known in some areas as screenings. And a 1/4 of compost
over top won't add any help. The OP's thought of adding a couple of tons of
sand won't do much either, depending on the soil area you will need enough
sand to mix 50/50 with the heavy clay soil to start loosening it, and this
may take many tons of sand.

I used to live in an area where the soil was very heavy clay based, in fact
the area was a mecca for clay brick making plants, and I have only found
that adding lots of organic material will loosen the clay, and I have read
that adding gypsum will work too. I agree you should test small areas to see
what works on your particular type of clay.

Old 27-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Registered User

thanks very much for your response! im still open to options as this blasted weather has put my efforts off for a week or so! ive calculated id probably need two tonne of sharp sand and approx a ton of top soil and well rotted manure to cover the area! and also a good rotivator! thanx again!

Drainage for a lawn on clay soil BIGTOM United Kingdom 11 22-04-2006 04:56 AM
Lawn drainage Jack Gardening 1 23-10-2005 05:22 PM
Lawn Drainage Curtis Gardening 6 19-04-2005 01:25 AM
Under lawn drainage Dave United Kingdom 2 16-04-2004 01:34 PM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM