How Long Till Roundup Works?

Old 25-07-2008, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!

Old 26-07-2008, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:41:12 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Follow the directions.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

No! It might require other measures for eradication.

Old 26-07-2008, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

* *I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

You should see signs of wilting in 24 to 48 hours, then they should be
dead in about a week. It's highly dependent on temps. Those times
are for70 to 80. If it's 45 deg, it can take much longer and isn't as
effective.

Follow the directions.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

It depends on how large the plant is. For larger vines, it's most
effective to cut the vine, then treat the leaves on the lower part.
It may require a couple applications.

No! It might require other measures for eradication.

Old 26-07-2008, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Von Fourche wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?

I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Old 26-07-2008, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 25, 8:38*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?

I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.

I don't know why he says he can't recommend it. Right on the label
for the concentrate it has a wide range of concentrations you can mix
it to, from 1% to at least 6%, maybe even 10%, not sure since I don't
have one here in front of me. The recommended concentration depends
on what the target plant is

Which does bring up another factor. At higher concentrations it will
tend to not only kill more hardy plants, but also achieve kill
somewhat faster. At cold temps, I use a higher concentration.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Old 26-07-2008, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:38*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
[...]

The disclaimer is because he's speculating about (not recommending)
off-label uses. Things like applying it at 100% to tree stumps, or at
50% using a cotton glove to wipe it on to stubborn weeds.

From my reading of the label, it's illegal to use it in non-approved
ways, and by extension illegal to recommend that others do so,
especially if you're a licensed professional.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Old 29-07-2008, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 25, 3:41*pm, "Von Fourche" wrote:
* * I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

*Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!

i used it on a semi-abandoned patch of assorted weeds; some were
wilted the next day, some held out for a week or more and finally just
sort of faded away.
Old 31-07-2008, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 25, 2:41*pm, "Von Fourche" wrote:
* * I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

*Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!

I have been using Roundup for the past 15+ years and buy it in 2.5gal
jugs. Here's my experience with it: The original Roundup, mixed with
a surfactant at the time of use, worked great. Let the mix sit for a
week or more before using it greatly reduced it's killing power
(chemical reaction?). Then Roundup got the idea of premixing the
surfactant at bottling (new & improved). Same problem in reduced
killing power. Roundup increased the concentration % (new & improved
#2) to try to solve the problem. Better, but still not as good as the
original. Of course every change they made increased the price while
keeping the effectiveness reduced. Some companies just got to screw
with a good thing! Remember Coke trying it?

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.

KC

#2) to try to solve the problem. Better, but still not as good as the
original. Of course every change they made increased the price while
keeping the effectiveness reduced. Some companies just got to screw
with a good thing! Remember Coke trying it?

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.

KC

just a few drops of liquid soap added to the tank mix causes
the mix to clink better to the applied plant.

just a few drops or you'll have a foaming mess.
old style lemon Joy works best with no adverse reduction
in killing power.
Old 31-07-2008, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 30, 8:50*pm, Jim wrote:

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.

KC

just a few drops of liquid soap added to the tank mix causes
the mix to clink better to the applied plant.

just a few drops or you'll have a foaming mess. *
old style lemon Joy works best with no adverse reduction
in killing power.-

I didn't mean to say that I don't use a surfactant, I just find that
it works better if it's added at the time of application. Although
liquid soap works just fine, I use a commercial surfactant. I 'think'
it's probably cheaper in the long run since it's used at 1oz/gal, so
128oz lasts a loooong time.

KC
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"SteveB" wrote in message
Von Fourche wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?

I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

I saw some Roundup at the local store for around $40.00 I think. Is that
super powerful Roundup or something?

Is the Roundup Poison Ivy killer any different than regular Roundup? I
bought both last week. I sprayed regular Roundup on some of the fence line
and it killed most of the weeks nicely. I sprayed the Poison Ivy killer on
a couple of trees that have Poison Ivy growing on it and the leaves have
wilted and died. I think the Roundup Poison Ivy killer says it is for
Poison Ivy/Oak and tuff weeks/brush.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Von Fourche" wrote in message I saw some Roundup
at the local store for around $40.00 I think. Is that
super powerful Roundup or something?

Roundup is sold in differant concentrations. Look at the main ingrediant
and see how much is in the containers at differant prices.
Sort of like the antifreeze you get, you can get full strength and cut it
with water or for about the same price you can get some ready to put in your
car. If you get the ready mix , you are paying for about half water at
several dollars per gallon.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Von Fourche wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
Von Fourche wrote:

[...]

Roundup comes in different concentrations. You'll have to check the
label for the difference between regular and poison ivy versions. I
would guess the PI version has extra stuff to make it stick better, a
higher concentration of active ingredient, or both.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement