Do bags of fertilizer get old?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Do bags of fertilizer get old?

Do bags of fertilizer get old?

A store was going out of business, so I bought 2 years worth of the
fertilizer products, the kind that comes in 4 different kinds,
numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 for spring, early summer etc.

I've decided not to use the stuff, so I want to sell it or give it
away, but I don't know if it is still worth anything.

Grass seed gets much older and less viable every year, but fertilizer
and crabgrass killer don't have to germinate.

So how good are these products 3 or 4 years after I bought them?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 1, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
Do bags of fertilizer get old?

A store was going out of business, so I bought 2 years worth of the
fertilizer products, the kind that comes in 4 different kinds,
numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 for spring, early summer etc.

I've decided not to use the stuff, so I want to sell it or give it
away, but I don't know if it is still worth anything.

Grass seed gets much older and less viable every year, but fertilizer
and crabgrass killer don't have to germinate. *

So how good are these products 3 or 4 years after I bought them?

Thanks.

Fertilizer should not decay. I would also doubt the chemicals for
crabgrass and weeds will decay much if at all. I used left over
premerge crabgrass stuff on my lawn with no problem. Most important
is keep them dry and seal opened bags against moisture and humidity.
My local KMart is crappy on this and I no longer buy from them as they
leave stuff outside in a storage lot before bringing in.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 1, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
Do bags of fertilizer get old?

A store was going out of business, so I bought 2 years worth of the
fertilizer products, the kind that comes in 4 different kinds,
numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 for spring, early summer etc.

I've decided not to use the stuff, so I want to sell it or give it
away, but I don't know if it is still worth anything.

Grass seed gets much older and less viable every year, but fertilizer
and crabgrass killer don't have to germinate. *

So how good are these products 3 or 4 years after I bought them?

Thanks.

if it did break down, it would probably give off ammonia, and you'd
definitely notice it.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message
Do bags of fertilizer get old?

Yup. A little more every day.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Good point, it smells like cat ****.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 06-06-2009, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:39:09 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Frank, and Z and all, That's what I figured, but I didn't
want to rely on just my own biased opinion when I tried to sell this
stuff. Even if I sell it cheap or give it away, the other guy will
have to do some work to spread it and I don't want to sucker him into
working for no benefit.

I think a lot of things sit in warehouses for years sometimes and gras
seed is the exception if they make sure to sell it quickly. How come
they don't put the year on the grass seed? Or does it only get old
after it's been opened? (That doesn't sound right.)