Old 31-07-2009, 06:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

Seems to only happen at night. No bugs seen on the leaves during the
day.

I thought these plants were toxic.

Earwigs maybe?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Plant Guy" wrote in message
What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

Seems to only happen at night. No bugs seen on the leaves during the
day.

I thought these plants were toxic.

Earwigs maybe?

probably slugs or snails

Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Real ****er wrote:

What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

Seems to only happen at night. No bugs seen on the leaves
during the day.

I thought these plants were toxic.

Earwigs maybe?

probably slugs or snails

Do slugs or snails hide completely out of sight (and off any plants
they're eating) during the day?

How high up a stem or stalk with a slug or snail go to get to leaves to
eat them?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Plant Guy" wrote in message
Real ****er wrote:

What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?

Seems to only happen at night. No bugs seen on the leaves
during the day.

I thought these plants were toxic.

Earwigs maybe?

probably slugs or snails

Do slugs or snails hide completely out of sight (and off any plants
they're eating) during the day?

How high up a stem or stalk with a slug or snail go to get to leaves to
eat them?

Slugs hide under rocks, pieces of wood or anything else to stay cool and out
of the sun all day. Slugs leave slime trails everywhere they go (not sure
about snails with shells leaving slime). I have an oak tree in my front yard
that I have found the slime trails on at least 6 feet off the ground. I have
no idea why they would travel that far up away from the moist ground, but
they do it. My wife puts out slug traps with some beer in them; the slugs
get attacted by the smell, climb in, get high and drown. What a way to waste
beer, but it works for sure. she also buys slome slug bait/poison that is
supposed to be safe to birds and mammals (iron sulfate, I think). There is
slug bait being sold that is dangerous to dogs and other pets, so be
carefull what you buy. The damn slugs eat up all the leave on the nice
plants she has growing. They get bigger than 5/8 inch thick and4 or more
inches long. The more they eat, the bigger they grow. Ithink the first time
we had slugs in the yard years back, they were in some plants we bought at
Home Depot or some other supplier. They are disgusting.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Plant Guy" wrote in message
Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?

don't know that. try a google search

Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/1/2009 7:07 PM (ET) Plant Guy wrote the following:
Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?

The best solution for slugs is a saucer full of beer. They are attracted
to the beer and then drown in it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Aug 2, 10:27*am, willshak wrote:
on 8/1/2009 7:07 PM (ET) Plant Guy wrote the following:

Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?

The best solution for slugs is a saucer full of beer. They are attracted
to the beer and then drown in it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

i never had any luck with the beer method. i guess the slugs up here
are teetotalers. i'm trying the iron phosphate stuff now. this summer
being like a slug horror movie in the northeast.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by z View Post
On Aug 2, 10:27*am, willshak wrote:
on 8/1/2009 7:07 PM (ET) Plant Guy wrote the following:

Will earwig "destroyer" kill slugs or snails?

The best solution for slugs is a saucer full of beer. They are attracted
to the beer and then drown in it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

i never had any luck with the beer method. i guess the slugs up here
are teetotalers. i'm trying the iron phosphate stuff now. this summer
being like a slug horror movie in the northeast.
I'm having terrible problems with slugs on my hostas, i've never suffered before. I've been told coarse grit around the base?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

-

To email, remove the double zeroes after @-

i never had any luck with the beer method. i guess the slugs up here
are teetotalers. i'm trying the iron phosphate stuff now. this summer
being like a slug horror movie in the northeast.

I'm having terrible problems with slugs on my hostas, i've never
suffered before. I've been told coarse grit around the base?

not too coarse; people recommend diatomaceous earth,. which is pretty
fine,. used to be the abrasive in toothpaste, to give you some idea.
big grit, the slugs just climb over it.
same stuff is good nontoxic bug killer too, apparently; exterminator
treated a wasp nest in the eaves by blowing a bunch of diatomaceous
earth in the hole. the bugs supposedly just get it all over themselves
and just grind themselves up, he said.