Old 15-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Default Haytor Harrier 41 Friction Disc Removal

Hi All

I have an old style Haytor Harrier 41 which I want to change the engine. I can"t seem to figure out how to remove the friction disc which would then allow me to remove the old engine.. HELP !!

Eric
Old 15-08-2010, 11:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eric L wrote:
Hi All

I have an old style Haytor Harrier 41 which I want to change the engine.
I can"t seem to figure out how to remove the friction disc which would
then allow me to remove the old engine.. HELP !!

Could you post a pic someplace?

--
Art
Old 16-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Eric L wrote:
Hi All

I have an old style Haytor Harrier 41 which I want to change the engine.
I can"t seem to figure out how to remove the friction disc which would
then allow me to remove the old engine.. HELP !!

Could you post a pic someplace?

--
Art
Hi Art

I will see what I can do.
Friction Disc is the circular plate that the blade bolts onto, if this is any help and is the only thing stopping the removal of the engine apart from four nuts and the cables.. Only way I can think this must be secured is that it is threaded on (possibly left handed )but don"t want to try to force this if possible. Replacement engine is from another Machine so this will have to be removed too.

Eric
Old 18-08-2010, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eric L wrote:

-

Could you post a pic someplace?

--
Art

Hi Art

I will see what I can do.
Friction Disc is the circular plate that the blade bolts onto, if this
is any help and is the only thing stopping the removal of the engine
apart from four nuts and the cables.. Only way I can think this must be
secured is that it is threaded on (possibly left handed )but don"t want
to try to force this if possible. Replacement engine is from another
Machine so this will have to be removed too.

Eric

1 picture = 1000 words

--
Art
Old 27-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered User

Eric L wrote:
Art;897485 Wrote:
Eric L wrote:-
[...]

the fiction disc is is just fitted to a straight shaft with a keyway in. They can be bloody hard work to remove. Hayter make a puller to remove the friction disc, that's what the two holes in the plate are for. Also try lots of heat and WD40. Last one I did took 1.5 hours with the pulley and heat etc.
Good Luck

Old 30-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellfield View Post
Hi,

the fiction disc is is just fitted to a straight shaft with a keyway in. They can be bloody hard work to remove. Hayter make a puller to remove the friction disc, that's what the two holes in the plate are for. Also try lots of heat and WD40. Last one I did took 1.5 hours with the pulley and heat etc.
Good Luck

Hi
Thanks for that. I had on another look spotted the keyway after removing some muck build up. I suspected also that those two holes might be a clue.
NOW THE HARD BIT !!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
Hi
Thanks for that. I had on another look spotted the keyway after removing some muck build up. I suspected also that those two holes might be a clue.
NOW THE HARD BIT !!!
Hi, I'm new here and saw this old posting.
Have you been successful removing the friction disc?
I've got a old Hayter Harrier (mk 2) and have got the same problem. I found the 2 holes and put a couple bolts through them to try to pull the disc off. Used heat and WD40 but nothing moved as yet. I'm a bit reluctant to bash the thing as I don't want to bend the shaft. Any suggestions?
Old 24-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered User

i spent 2 hours trying this, gave up in the end and cut it off with a angle grinder as i had a second hand cam shaft, after i cut through the shaft i was then interested in working out how this was so stuck so i put friction plate in vice and cut it clean in half (therefore cutting shaft stump in half), so i now had a semi circle friction plate with a semi circle of shaft in it i STILL couldn't get it out, they seem to weld in to each other, i never seen anything like it.
I know this is no help to u but thought you may be interested to hear my story, so you know your not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmljls View Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Location: evesham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmljls View Post
Hi, I'm new here and saw this old posting.
Have you been successful removing the friction disc?
I've got a old Hayter Harrier (mk 2) and have got the same problem. I found the 2 holes and put a couple bolts through them to try to pull the disc off. Used heat and WD40 but nothing moved as yet. I'm a bit reluctant to bash the thing as I don't want to bend the shaft. Any suggestions?
Hi
Im know this is an old post,but if your still having problems i maybe able to help.
One of our workshop machanics had the same problem,we tried the pulley that hayter supplied and heat but nothing.
We used wurths ultra 40 (same as wd40) sprayed from behind the blade disc, let it soak for a hour,then threaded the blade bolt near the boss and hit it with a large hammer and as the disc moved we then moved the bolt out,once it has move spray it again,it will come off within 15min.
Note: you may have to retap the thread,but thats easy.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 AM
hayter james's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
Hi All

I have an old style Haytor Harrier 41 which I want to change the engine. I can"t seem to figure out how to remove the friction disc which would then allow me to remove the old engine.. HELP !!

Eric
I have made a number of pullers for this purpose. Please email .

Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 AM
hayter james's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
Hi All

I have an old style Haytor Harrier 41 which I want to change the engine. I can"t seem to figure out how to remove the friction disc which would then allow me to remove the old engine.. HELP !!

Eric
.20150302_154009.mp4
Old 13-03-2015, 09:02 PM
hayter james's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayter james View Post
.20150302_154009.mp4
Hi I have made a removal tool for the hayter friction disc that works really well. Advertised on ebay. User name hjt1961. Hope this helps

hater friction plate removal hayter james Lawns 0 04-03-2015 11:56 PM
Harrier 56 Throttle Humectant Lawns 3 13-04-2014 09:24 PM
Hayter Harrier 56 starting problem SKochmaruk Lawns 3 01-05-2012 04:30 PM
Hayter Harrier 56 Variable Speed Al M United Kingdom 1 22-04-2006 02:44 PM
12 inch disc for sears disc harrow Ray Cook Gardening 0 21-03-2004 04:12 PM