Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow
jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will
displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep
the heat away from the nest.

I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a
nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.

But why use gasoline at all when just some boring old bucket of soapy water
could work. That way you also don't have to pinpoint with a great deal of
accuracy the entry hole, either.

This worked for me, but the first time I was askeered and I think I poured
it out too quickly (or ran before I quite finished - I was hardly well
protected clothing-wise!). One more dousing the next night took care of the
last few of them.

Keeping in mind that I doubt the nest was particularly large, either....

Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 10:49 AM, Red wrote:
On 9/5/2010 8:33 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/4/2010 8:12 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:54:19 -0400,

wrote:

On 9/4/2010 6:16 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:38:29 -0400,

wrote:

On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a
big clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used
the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back
to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting
too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees
with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot,
and that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this
nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest,
but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant,
so I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

One good shot of wasp/hornet spray in the nest opening should do it.
I've heard it is best to spray at night but I've done it many
times in
the day as sprayed yellow jackets are disoriented and don't get you.

They're not all home during the day, so even if you don't get stung
you didn't
do half the job.

Good point. I've seen some coming back the next day even but eventually
they all disappear.

No, they just move their nest. ...likely somewhere else you don't want
it.

Not to belabor the point, but I believe that yellow jackets are like
other bees and once you've wiped out their base and killed the queen,
the drones just get lost.

that is what we need to do to the dems in november.

Great analogy
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Nelly wrote in message
[snip]
But why use gasoline at all when just some boring old
bucket of soapy water could work. That way you also
don't have to pinpoint with a great deal of accuracy the
entry hole, either.

This worked for me, but the first time I was askeered
and I think I poured it out too quickly (or ran before I
quite finished - I was hardly well protected clothing-wise!).
One more dousing the next night took care of the last
few of them.

You might've already answered these:

What's the ratio of soap and water?

Was there any particular type of soap you used or were the perameters
"cheapest, largest?" {I currently have a drum of that Costco-inspired liquid
soap; it doesn't really suds up nicely but it was cheap and I have a lot of
it left still.)

What does the soapy water do to exterminate the nest?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more
either.

Oh, yes you can.... G

--
Steve Barker
Old 06-09-2010, 03:29 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/10 5:21 PM, Nelly wrote:
"J wrote in message
[...]

That reminds me of a method where you don't have to find the nest. Make
a tripod of sticks a foot or two long, to stand in a bucket or pan.
Hang a piece of fish from it. Add water until the level is an inch or
two below the fish. Add a drop of detergent to the water and leave the
trap where yellow jackets can find it.

They tend to fall in when the try to fly with a piece of fish. The soap
speeds drowning. It may catch so many that it has to be emptied each night.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:23*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:

What's the ratio of soap and water?

Against stinging insects in general, I keep a household spray bottle
handy with a mix of 1:15 soap to water. I use dish soap like Dawn or
something similar. Water alone will not kill them, they are adapted
to outdoor living and rain. However soapy water drowns them quickly.
Hit with this spray, they die FAR faster than with Raid, and I don't
have to worry about poisoning the kids or the dogs.

But I haven't wanted to waste expensive dish soap on nests in the
ground. I just throw in a cup of tide or similar laundry detergent to
each bucket of water.

What does the soapy water do to exterminate the nest?

Soapy water wets them and drowns them. Plain water doesn't, I guess
they must have some way of shedding it. I don't really know the
physics of this, but I have done it a number of times and can testify
it works.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 4:21 PM, Nelly wrote:
"J wrote in message
[...]

Has anyone ever used a power washer to take out a nest? Um, WTF does
"askeered" mean? Does it hurt? 8-)

TDD
Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 6:32 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/4/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more
either.

Oh, yes you can.... G

When I was a kid and teenager we used quarter sticks of dynamite in
traps for foxes, in the Indiana orchards and in place of fire crackers.
Uncles used it in their own small coal mines or dog holes
Dynamite was common and used by Farmers etc all over the place. We
weren't worried about Terrorists. Indeed, terrorists would have provided
a bit of diversion.
I bet he would die of appleplexy if he though the Farmers now used it.
Now you have to hire a licensed outfit to use it for you.
Of course City folks didn't/don't need it.
They were/are dangerous though and nitwits found out the hard way.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, Steve Barker wrote:

Oh, yes you can.... G

Not the original M80s, like back in the '60s. The BATF has
reclassified them as HE (high explosives) and it's class D felony to
be caught with one. There are wimpy bogus M80s and perhaps some
illegally imported one's, but it's not like 1964 when you could
legally buy a gross of the real deal for about $10 in any one of a
dozen states.

nb
Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-06, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Has anyone ever used a power washer to take out a nest? Um, WTF does
"askeered" mean? Does it hurt? 8-)

The term "askeered" is the local yokel synonym for "afraid".

nb

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-06, The Daring wrote:

Has anyone ever used a power washer to take out a nest? Um, WTF does
"askeered" mean? Does it hurt? 8-)

The term "askeered" is the local yokel synonym for "afraid".

nb

M&ms come in synonym or cinnamon?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-06, lil abner wrote:

M&ms come in synonym or cinnamon?

Last time I looked, they came in a bag.

nb
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, Steve wrote:

Oh, yes you can....G

Not the original M80s, like back in the '60s. The BATF has
reclassified them as HE (high explosives) and it's class D felony to
be caught with one. There are wimpy bogus M80s and perhaps some
illegally imported one's, but it's not like 1964 when you could
legally buy a gross of the real deal for about $10 in any one of a
dozen states.

nb

How in the hell did we ever survive our childhood? I seem to
remember being able to purchase WWII surplus hand grenades.

TDD
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Gracious. Not sure I'd ever have a use for one of them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 10:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Gracious. Not sure I'd ever have a use for one of them.

Booby-trap the garage to take out dobads or to protect your crops. 8-)

TDD

Bee Nest in Garage Leo Shea Gardening 26 02-08-2009 08:36 AM
Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest Link Gardening 12 29-05-2008 05:51 PM
What would eat a yellow jacket nest Cheryl Isaak Gardening 6 07-09-2007 07:18 PM
yellow jacket nest, cant reach Rob Gardening 20 26-09-2004 08:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 07:44 PM