How to calibrate Republic EZ broadcast spreader

Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Default How to calibrate Republic EZ broadcast spreader

As the forsythia are about to bloom in Connecticut, I prepared to put down fertilizer and crabgrass preventer, but lost the book on my Republic EZ broadcast spreader. There is a mark to calibrate it, but I don't remember what number I should set on the dial, and the internet has not helped so far. Does anyone have the information. Thanks, gilken
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
gilken

I've never re-calibrated my Scoots since I put it together 15 years
ago.
I just keep an eye on how fast the particular product is going out and
if
the rate seems off, then I adjuct the dial a bit. From experience
the
suggested settings on the bag are often off one way or the other from
what you actually need anyway. Probably depends on factors like
how much moisture may have gotten into the particular product, etc.

So, I just start with a part of a bag,
say 1/4 and keep an eye on how far that goes, relative to the area it
should cover, then adjust accordingly. And if you're off somewhat it
won;t matter much. I'd tend to err on the side of a bit too light,
you
can always do a 2nd pass.

I know the forsythia guidline is widely used for pre-emergent, but
I think it's still very early to be putting it down right now. I'm in
coastal NJ and I would not put it down here for a couple weeks.
CG doesn't germinate until you have temps in the high 70s or 80s.
By that time the effectiveness could be wearing off. I prefer to do
it a bit later and use a product with Dimension which will not only
prevent germination but kill very small CG plants too.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

replying to gilken, Kitty wrote:
Gilken, I have the same question. Wouldn't it be nice if the numerical
setting were in pounds per 1,000 s.f.? My bags of lime suggest settings for
every spreader except Republic, and for the same rate of application (10
lb/1,000 s.f.) call for anywhere from 7-1/2 to 26 for a 12-inch spreader.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/lawn-g...der-18065-.htm

Old 20-03-2017, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 3/19/2017 3:14 PM, Kitty wrote:
replying to gilken, Kitty wrote:
Gilken, I have the same question. Wouldn't it be nice if the numerical
setting were in pounds per 1,000 s.f.? My bags of lime suggest settings
for
every spreader except Republic, and for the same rate of application (10
lb/1,000 s.f.) call for anywhere from 7-1/2 to 26 for a 12-inch spreader.

Every product you might try to spread will likely come out at a
different rate depending on the physical characteristics (size of
particles, weight per particle etc.) of that product. Spread a bag and
see how far it goes?