Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Intentional holes in garden hose

Watering the tomatos and other stuff in my little yard is inefficient.
I've tried the soaker hoses which are fairly efficient, but they leak
all over - I mean, that's what they're supposed to do.

My new plan is to get a cheap hose, lay it around where the crops are,
anchor it so that it doesn't move around, and drill holes where it
will leak directly onto the ground where I want it to leak.

I intend to start with small holes, working up to larger holes as it
gets near the end, figuring that pressure will be dropping as it goes
along. The end, of course, will be plugged.

It seems logical. Has anyone done this kind of thing? A big yard
probably isn't worth doing, but in my little yard I'm expecting that
it will work.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 10, 6:39*am, dgk wrote:
Watering the tomatos and other stuff in my little yard is inefficient.
I've tried the soaker hoses which are fairly efficient, but they leak
all over - I mean, that's what they're supposed to do.

My new plan is to get a cheap hose, lay it around where the crops are,
anchor it so that it doesn't move around, and drill holes where it
will leak directly onto the ground where I want it to leak.

I intend to start with small holes, working up to larger holes as it
gets near the end, figuring that pressure will be dropping as it goes
along. The end, of course, will be plugged.

It seems logical. Has anyone done this kind of thing? A big yard
probably isn't worth doing, but in my little yard I'm expecting that
it will work.

would it not be easier to lay out your soaker hose, then cover it over
with either soil or mulch so that the water does not spray into the
air?
at least the holes are all the same size. As for water pressure drops,
simply leave the water on longer to compensate for less volume at the
far end of the hose.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dgk wrote:
Watering the tomatos and other stuff in my little yard is inefficient.
I've tried the soaker hoses which are fairly efficient, but they leak
all over - I mean, that's what they're supposed to do.

My new plan is to get a cheap hose, lay it around where the crops are,
anchor it so that it doesn't move around, and drill holes where it
will leak directly onto the ground where I want it to leak.

I intend to start with small holes, working up to larger holes as it
gets near the end, figuring that pressure will be dropping as it goes
along. The end, of course, will be plugged.

It seems logical. Has anyone done this kind of thing? A big yard
probably isn't worth doing, but in my little yard I'm expecting that
it will work.

Look up "drip irrigation" systems.
http://www.dripirrigation.com/

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dgk wrote the following:
Watering the tomatos and other stuff in my little yard is inefficient.
I've tried the soaker hoses which are fairly efficient, but they leak
all over - I mean, that's what they're supposed to do.

My new plan is to get a cheap hose, lay it around where the crops are,
anchor it so that it doesn't move around, and drill holes where it
will leak directly onto the ground where I want it to leak.

I intend to start with small holes, working up to larger holes as it
gets near the end, figuring that pressure will be dropping as it goes
along. The end, of course, will be plugged.

It seems logical. Has anyone done this kind of thing? A big yard
probably isn't worth doing, but in my little yard I'm expecting that
it will work.

There are plastic tubes out there that required that you cut the tube
and install a tee for each particular plant.
There is no leakage between plants.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

canuckistani wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:39 am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Actually, soakers frequently come with restrictors to lower the pressure. The
less water flow, the more even the distribution will be as pressure drop along
the length of the hose lessens.

Old 13-06-2011, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:05:36 -0700 (PDT), canuckistani
wrote:

On Jun 10, 6:39*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Yes, but the soaker hose does water everything along its length - not
always evenly I've noticed, there are some weak spots. I really don't
want to be watering weeds so I thought that something more targeted
might work out better.
Old 23-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Watering the tomatos and other stuff in my little yard is inefficient.
I've tried the soaker hoses which are fairly efficient, but they leak
all over - I mean, that's what they're supposed to do.

My new plan is to get a cheap hose, lay it around where the crops are,
anchor it so that it doesn't move around, and drill holes where it
will leak directly onto the ground where I want it to leak.

I intend to start with small holes, working up to larger holes as it
gets near the end, figuring that pressure will be dropping as it goes
along. The end, of course, will be plugged.

It seems logical. Has anyone done this kind of thing? A big yard
probably isn't worth doing, but in my little yard I'm expecting that
it will work.
[/i][/color]
There are plastic tubes out there that required that you cut the tube
and install a tee for each particular plant.
There is no leakage between plants. Bill

Tried the t junctions and the drilled hose, both alright but get blocked. Tried leading gutter water to reservoir tank(with overflow), wicks to get water over edge into old plastic guttering along walls, smaller wicks (old cloth) along this to drip water as needed. Wicks can raise up to 3 inches! This 90% good. But final solution: roof of my greenhouse is screwed-on corugated clear plastic, just drilled small holes in bottom of u's as needed for rain-drips. If for winter dry roof wanted, simply uinscrew and reverse platic sheets. is 99% dry. (am away for up to 1 month in summers) JimDixon