Old 13-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Default Very soft lawn

I've just bought a new build that was complete in June/July last year. The grass is long in parts, a bit matted in others. The most annoying thing is the ground is very soft. I've stopped walking on it as i it is starting to look a bit muddy. I'm a gardening novice and would appreciate any tips please!

Also, I was thinking about getting a small compost bin. I'm wondering if these attract any undesirables? Ie Rats, foxes, bugs?

Thanks,

DS
Old 30-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietspam View Post
I've just bought a new build that was complete in June/July last year. The grass is long in parts, a bit matted in others. The most annoying thing is the ground is very soft. I've stopped walking on it as i it is starting to look a bit muddy. I'm a gardening novice and would appreciate any tips please!

Also, I was thinking about getting a small compost bin. I'm wondering if these attract any undesirables? Ie Rats, foxes, bugs?

Thanks,

DS
In my lawn if I tear through the root base I'm going to get stuck, no if's and's or but's. And it has fairly high clay content. You need to get a root base established to knit it all together. I'd consider throwing straw or pine straw on it just to protect it from heavy rain.

For the deer I'd try finding some kind of repellant scent and maybe some motion activated lights. Somebody was telling me about a model coyote with a tail that moves in the breeze. it repels geese, I don't know about deer.

I'm in the country and put up a barbed wire fence years ago. The first night I'm pretty sure a deer hit it, and sprung it some bending the posts, but it didn't get through.
Fruit Trees