Old 26-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Default kill roots before sowing new lawn

Hi, I have just cut down an area of tree and shrubs about 10 feet by 30 feet, and pulled up the roots as best I can.
The previous owner was an old lady so the shrubs have ran wild for at least twenty years.
I want to replace the entire area with a new lawn. Along the outside of what will be the lawn there are hedges which I want to keep.
Can anyone recommend anything I can use to make sure that no roots grow back, but not damage the hedges around the edge of the garden.
The plants I have dug up are something which looked a bit like a fir tree but was spreading along the ground, rose bushes, thorn bushes, lavender, and other different shrubs and bushes.
I'm sure it was lovely when it was planted but it had turned into a solid mass of bushes.
Old 27-03-2012, 04:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 26, 9:51*am, lappin wrote:
Hi, I have just cut down an area of tree and shrubs about 10 feet by 30
feet, and pulled up the roots as best I can.
The previous owner was an old lady so the shrubs have ran wild for at
least twenty years.
I want to replace the entire area with a new lawn. Along the outside of
what will be the lawn there are hedges which I want to keep.
Can anyone recommend anything I can use to make sure that no roots grow
back, but not damage the hedges around the edge of the garden.

I would have killed everything that was there with
Roundup/glyphosate BEFORE I cut it all down. And
I would have done that late summer and established
the new lawn in early Fall, which is the ideal time.

It sounds like quite the jungle. Are you tilling it all
before establishing the new lawn. That will help,
but you'll still have crap coming up that could have
been avoided, per the above. After tilling, you could
wait a couple weeks and then hit whatever emerges
with glyphosate. But by waiting you're delaying
establishing the new lawn. If you're using sod, that's
not such a big thing. With seed every week counts.

--
lappin

Old 28-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User

Location: California

These roots, if not removed entirely, will grow again through the new sod. You will need to kill the weeds before you can till the soil. If you do not kill the weeds first, the rototiller will tear the weeds into many pieces and scatter them throughout your yard. This will lead to even more weeds growing up through your new lawn.

Spray or sprinkle a 2.4-D, MCPP, or Banvel herbicide on your lawn. Follow manufacturer instructions for the correct application method. Never allow any of the herbicide to remain on your sidewalk or driveway. Use a broom to sweep any herbicide granules onto the lawn. Use a garden hose to spray off any liquid hydroponics fertilizer from sidewalks. Allow the herbicide to sit on the lawn for the time indicated by the manufacturer.

Pull up the shurbs by hand if you have trees or plants in your yard. It is exceptionally difficult to control herbicides. They get down into the soil and can destroy trees or other plants that share the soil. If you choose to remove the roots by hand, use a shovel to get at the roots. Do not leave any of the roots on the soil. This can be tough with large-rooted perennial weeds. Annual weeds should come up relatively easy.

Till the lawn using a rototiller. If you do not have a rototiller, you can rent one from most hardware stores. Run the rototiller over all of the lawn area; this will loosen and cut up any remaining roots in the soil. Rake the entire lawn area with a garden rake. Be sure to get out all of the dead or leftover weed roots. Do not throw the dead weeds back into the grass or in a compost pile. Place all weeds into a garbage bag and throw them away.

Plant your sod immediately after removing all weeds. If you leave the soil exposed, more weeds will take root in the soil. Keep your new sod healthy and thick to avoid more weeds taking root. Healthy grass will choke out most weeds. Remove any weeds that do emerge by hand to get the entire root.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 3/26/2012 9:51 AM, lappin wrote:
Hi, I have just cut down an area of tree and shrubs about 10 feet by 30
feet, and pulled up the roots as best I can.
The previous owner was an old lady so the shrubs have ran wild for at
least twenty years.
I want to replace the entire area with a new lawn. Along the outside of
what will be the lawn there are hedges which I want to keep.
Can anyone recommend anything I can use to make sure that no roots grow
back, but not damage the hedges around the edge of the garden.
The plants I have dug up are something which looked a bit like a fir
tree but was spreading along the ground, rose bushes, thorn bushes,
lavender, and other different shrubs and bushes.
I'm sure it was lovely when it was planted but it had turned into a
solid mass of bushes.

Depends how pristine you want it too look. Previous shrubs will
disappear in time with grass cutting and maybe selective herbicide
treatment. I've got several areas around my house that cannot be seen
by passersby or visitors so I just let them go knowing that they will
disappear eventually.