Old 18-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default Please Help - Laying Turf

I have just moved it to house and people who lived there before have destroyed the back garden,it looks like they have just throw a load of concrete on the ground,could some one tell me hpw i would go about getting the ground etc preparation ready for turf?I have added a few pictures

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/SAM_0839.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/SAM_0835.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/SAM_0831.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/SAM_0830.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6/SAM_0828.jpg
Old 18-04-2012, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Seems to me that step ( 1 ) is to get rid of the concrete and any
other undesireable materials ...

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:40:31 +0000, Juvenile
wrote:

I have just moved it to house and people who lived there before have
destroyed the back garden,it looks like they have just throw a load of
concrete on the ground,could some one tell me hpw i would go about
getting the ground etc preparation ready for turf?I have added a few
pictures

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0839.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0835.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0831.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0830.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0828.jpg]

Old 21-04-2012, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 12:38*pm, wrote:
Seems to me that step ( 1 ) is to get rid of the concrete and any
other undesireable materials ...

And kill off whatever is there with Roundup (glyphosate).
Actually, I'd probably do that first as it's easy before you
start disturbing the soil. When it's dead, mow it down short,
then get rid of the concrete.

What you do next depends on what kind of soil is there.
If it's decent, then till. If not, add whatever ammendments
are needed, eg humus or other organic material that is
available. Test the soil and add lime if needed before
tilling.

I'm sure there must be plenty of info from a google search
too.
Old 26-08-2012, 09:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I have just moved it to house and people who lived there before have
destroyed the back garden,it looks like they have just throw a load of
concrete on the ground,could some one tell me hpw i would go about
getting the ground etc preparation ready for turf?I have added a few
pictures

Rather that being waste concrete, you may have purchased an abandoned
concrete mine. That there is so much on the surface indicates there
is large mother lode below the surface. You won't need a derrick but
you will need some small heavy machinery to be able to remove and sell
the any concrete more than 10 inches below the ground.

Did you purchase the mineral rights to your lot?. Probably. They
are only sold separately where people realize their value.

Wait. The person reading over my shoulder says there is no market for
hardened concrete, and you should stick with your plan to plant grass.
Oh, well. I was big on planting grass, especially when they came out
with seed with a coating that really seems to hold water. Until I
learned that the grass seed degrades quickly and isn't worth much a
year or two later. OTOH, sod might be worth the money. it comes
with a little of its own soil. There's a sod farm about 15 miles from
here but they require you to call first, because they only cut as much
as is ordered. A nearby big graden shop and some Home Depots have
sod, especially on Friday I would buy stuff that sitill looks good,
maybe that is cut on Friday and delivered that afternoon, so that it's
fresh. Stores should water it and you should too until you put it
down and afterwards. .

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0839.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0835.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0831.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0830.jpg]

[image:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../SAM_0828.jpg]

Help laying new turf...please! jamie23 Lawns 15 15-07-2011 11:57 AM
laying turf on old patio base. Help please Aylesy Lawns 2 19-03-2011 08:34 PM
Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Turf laying costs? dmc United Kingdom 1 09-04-2003 02:20 PM
Laying Turf Stephen Macintyre United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 11:47 AM