Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Planting Grass Seeds

On May 2, 12:18*am, Red wrote:
On May 1, 5:03*pm, Oozmiester
wrote:

So where are you guys from then ? *Bob and Trader4 ?

Here is my plan, thanks to the input from you guys:

I am going to aerate the whole garden.
Seed it so they go into the small holes.
Put some starter fertilizer down.
Put a net over the garden to stop the birds eating the seeds.
Then water, water, water.

I'll also do it at the fall as I have plenty of seed.

I'm not 100% sure about how the sprinkler timer works.
Can one of you guys explain, I'm being thick here.
I'd only be having it on possibly twice in one day while I am at work.
With a normal garden sprinkler you attach the hose to the tap, turn on
the tap and you have your sprinkler until you turn the tap off.

How does this timer work with the tap if you are out ?

--
Oozmiester

Everyone is guessing, including you, based upon no meaningful input
from you.
Answer these questions:

Where do you live? (USA north or south, Europe, etc)
What type seed are you planting? (warm or cold weather types)
Is your soil loose or hard packed? (sandy loam or clay)
Have you ever had a soil sample analyzed? (pH & fertilizer levels)

For example if your phosphate level is high, applying a starter
fertilizer is the worse thing you can do to your soil. *If your pH is
low you need to add lime but if your pH is high lime is very bad. *A
$10 test can get you a detailed report & answer these questions. *Then
you can get meaningful advice.

Red- Hide quoted text -

+1
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red[_2_] View Post
On May 1, 5:03*pm, Oozmiester
wrote:
[...]

Hi Red, I answered in one of the posts above where I was from.

I'm in the United Kingdon, Scotland.
We don't usually get great summers and usually we have plenty of rain.
The type of grass seed I am using is Mascot grass seed R13 (is this good seed) ?
I only have a small garden, which is 8 x 6 meters.
Soil looks hard packed, not loose.
I have never had my soil sample analyzed - not sure where I could get this done but I could look into that.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On May 1, 6:03*pm, Oozmiester
wrote:
So where are you guys from then ? *Bob and Trader4 ?

Here is my plan, thanks to the input from you guys:

I am going to aerate the whole garden.
Seed it so they go into the small holes.

While it's OK to seed after aerating, the objective
is not to have seed go in the holes. The holes
from a core aerator will be about 3/4" around and
a couple inches deep. Some of the seed will
wind up in those holes, but how much of that will
germinate is questionable because seed needs
to be planted 1/4 to 1/2" deep, not 2".

And forget about using one of the fake aerators
that doesn't remove plugs of earth. Removing
the earth is what decompacts it. And that removed
earth gets spread around as a nice place for all
the grass seed that doesn't wind up in the holes
to grow in.

Great, I just ordered the shoe type aerator to pierce wholes in the grass but it will not remove plugs of earth.
They were not expensive anyway.
Would it be worthwhile using this to pierce holes 1/2" into the grass and let the seed go into the holes ?
I have tried hire stores in my area and none of them have Aerators.
They say they are for large area's like golf courses or soccer pitches.
I doubt you would be able to use a large type aerator in my garden as it's only 8 x 6 feet long.

As I said before, if the soil is not compacted, no
thatch problem, etc, I would use an overseeder to
apply the seed instead of aerating. Or ideally, you
could do both.

Put some starter fertilizer down.
Put a net over the garden to stop the birds eating the seeds.

I don't know what kind of birds you have or what
kind of seed, but birds eating the seed have never
been a problem in the many times I've done it. Nor
have I seen pros doing anything to deal with birds.
If you want to cover it, weedfree straw can be used.
You cover it lightly and it helps retain the moisture
during germination. Problem is, don't know where
you'd get it. And straw that has weed seed will bring
more trouble than it's worth.

The ideal thing is hydraulic mulch, which is kind of
like ground up paper mache. But given the cost,
at least here, it's only practical for smaller area.

Everytime I look out at my lawn, birds are on eating the seeds so I'm sure the net will stop that happening.

Then water, water, water.

I'll also do it at the fall as I have plenty of seed.

I'm not 100% sure about how the sprinkler timer works.
Can one of you guys explain, I'm being thick here.
I'd only be having it on possibly twice in one day while I am at work.
With a normal garden sprinkler you attach the hose to the tap, turn on
the tap and you have your sprinkler until you turn the tap off.

How does this timer work with the tap if you are out ?

--
Oozmiester

Outdoors - Garden Center - Watering & Irrigation - Sprinkler Timers - *at The Home Depot

That's the link to one at Home Depot. If the link
doesn't work you can find it under lawn and garden
dept.

It goes between the tap and the hose. You leave the
tap on and the timer controlled valve opens and closes
at the set times.

How much you need to water depends on the climate.
In general, I'd do it 3 times, 11 am, 3pm, 8pm. If it's
cold and cloudy, you could probably just do it twice.
If it's 80, windy and sunny, it could take more. You just
need to keep it constantly damp on the surface. No
need to flood it. Depending on the sprinkler head
and area that could be as short as 5 mins.

As the grass starts to grow, reduce
the watering times, but make them longer. At about
a month, you should be watering once a day. At
6 weeks, maybe every other day, etc. Long term
giving it an inch of water a week should be ideal,
probably in two waterings, unless nature provides
it. To measure how much
water you're putting down use some used tuna
cans.

Thanks for letting me know how the timer sprinkler works, I get it now.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozmiester View Post
Hi Red, I answered in one of the posts above where I was from.

I'm in the United Kingdon, Scotland.
We don't usually get great summers and usually we have plenty of rain.
The type of grass seed I am using is Mascot grass seed R13 (is this good seed) ?
I only have a small garden, which is 8 x 6 meters.
Soil looks hard packed, not loose.
I have never had my soil sample analyzed - not sure where I could get this done but I could look into that.
I also meant to add that when I moved into this house I actually laid new turf down rather than seed, that was about 4 years ago.
Not sure if this helps matters.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 2, 1:33*pm, Oozmiester
wrote:
'Red[_2_ Wrote:

;957665']On May 1, 5:03*pm, Oozmiester

wrote:-
[...]

Oozmiester- Hide quoted text -

Ok, that information helps. You are in a cool climate so your grass
seed is likely some variety of fescue. You state that you normally
get plenty of rain so lack of water shouldn't cause your problem.
That leaves a couple of possibilities:
(1) Soil unbalance (get soil test)
(2) fungus (Check with your local plant experts)
(3) soil compaction (core aeration as stated previously)
(4) a pet having a favorite area to relieve itself (see item 1)

Red

Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 2, 6:06*pm, Oozmiester
wrote:
Oozmiester;957699 Wrote:

Hi Red, I answered in one of the posts above where I was from.

I'm in the United Kingdon, Scotland.
We don't usually get great summers and usually we have plenty of rain.
The type of grass seed I am using is Mascot grass seed R13 (is this good
seed) ?
I only have a small garden, which is 8 x 6 meters.
Soil looks hard packed, not loose.
I have never had my soil sample analyzed - not sure where I could get
this done but I could look into that.

I also meant to add that when I moved into this house I actually laid
new turf down rather than seed, that was about 4 years ago.
Not sure if this helps matters.

--
Oozmiester

Googling produces this about your seed:

Cost effective mixture for general sports areas where finance is
important.
• Quick establishment. Formulated using STRI rated cultivars.
• Helena helps density of sward and drought tolerance.
• High summer wear tolerance (French National List Trials 2006).

50% Neruda 1 perennial ryegrass
25% Helena slender creeping red fescue
25% Mystic strong creeping red fescue

Should be fine for full sun to partial shade. And
these grasses should germinate in 7 to 10 days.
But some additional points:

It also depends on temps. You need soil temps in the
50s for seed to germinate. That generally means
daytime temps in the 60s.

Nothing wrong with using that seed for a lawn. But
it's optimized to be cheap and for use on athletic
fields and similar. Meaning it's less expensive as
seed, establishes quickly and can withstand a lot of traffic.
But it's usually not going to look as nice as a lawn could
that uses a mix designed to grow a really top end
lawn.

Among the tradeoffs with seed mix a

how quickly it establishes
how it stands up to traffic
how much water it needs
how much fertilizer it needs
how quickly it greens up in spring
how well it holds color into winter
disease resistance
color
texture, ie is it coarse or fine
whether it can self repair via rhizomes
texture

If you're just looking for a typical lawn, the
seed you're using should be fine and it's
not the source of your problem unless there
is something actually wrong with it, like
it's been sitting around in a poor environment
for many years.