Old 27-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered User

Default What is this in my lawn?

Hi all,

first post, very limited gardener, based in the UK, and looking for a little help.

I had a new lawn laid from turf about 18 months ago, and lovely it was too. My neighbours had a slightly inferior lawn with lots of clumps of thicker bladed grass which has now spread to my grass too.

Here's what it looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7d1z8a4kj...2015.11.43.jpg

So what is it and how do I deal with it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stuart
Old 28-04-2012, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

http://tinyurl.com/d3ht9n8

--
redspecial2000

What it is specifically, I don't know. But it probably
doesn't matter. It appears to be a type of undesirable
grass. You can try one of the weed killers for lawns,
but I doubt a selective herbicide is going to kill it.
Since they won't kill the desirable grasses, they also
aren't effective against many undesirable ones.

The other choices that do work are to either dig it out
or use Roundup (glyphosate) to kill it. The latter will
kill the desirable grass too, so you should apply it
using a shield, like a cut out plastic jug, to minimize
the collateral damage. You can reseed the spot
a week or whenever you're sure it's dead.

One thing for sure. You want to get rid of it quickly.
These grasses can spread and take over the whole
turf.
Old 29-04-2012, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4/27/2012 11:15 AM, redspecial2000 wrote:
Hi all,

first post, very limited gardener, based in the UK, and looking for a
little help.

I had a new lawn laid from turf about 18 months ago, and lovely it was
too. My neighbours had a slightly inferior lawn with lots of clumps of
thicker bladed grass which has now spread to my grass too.

Here's what it looks like:

http://tinyurl.com/d3ht9n8

So what is it and how do I deal with it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Stuart

Could be nut sedge.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/agri/rir/weeds/nutsedg.shtml