Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Rabbits in flower bed

I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout

Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 5, 11:50*am, "Scout" wrote:
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout

Pepper spray, the liquid not the aerosol. But you'll have to reapply
it after a rain. They'll soon learn that flowers in your bed are not
tasty.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Scout wrote the following on 5/5/2012 12:50 PM (ET):
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck
with it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he
had cut down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can
spray or place in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout

We've been using 'Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent' spray for
years. Our problem is mainly deer.
http://www.liquidfence.com/40-0z-dee...llent-con.html
It will stink when applying, but the smell fades away as it dries.
One application will last for months.
Available at home and garden stores, or Lowes or HD.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 13-05-2012, 10:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 5, 11:50 am, "Scout" wrote:
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout

Try urine. A territory marked by a large primate often repels
smaller prey...... I suggest you do it before your neighbors
awaken in the morning, tho......

Andy
Old 14-05-2012, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 5, 11:50*am, "Scout" wrote:
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout

Rabbits are in a state of evolution. They are evolving from meek
defenseless animals to animals with an attitude. There have been
numerous videos posted lately to show that.
Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxQAkAeP5E

Old 22-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout
I've had a similar problem myself and have read a a bit about good natural ways to deters the little guys, so here are some ideas; Mix pepper and vinegar, sprinkle lavendar around, plant something from the onion family around your flowers, human hair (never tried it) and I read somewhere that adding used cat litter from a cat that eats wild birds etc works (but that just sounds a little off to me)
Old 22-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I have a rather large flower bed in my front yard. I've had good luck with
it so far, but this morning I discovered a rabbit in the bed and he had cut
down a couple of plants. Can anyone recommend something I can spray or place
in the bed to chase rabbits away?

Thanks,

Scout
Bloodmeal and bonemeal can be sprinkled around the damaged plants or put in cheesecloth bags and hung around the garden. The smell signals the presence of predators and scares rabbits from the area. Both products can be found at gardening centers.

Powdered fox urine, cat urine from used kitty litter, dried sheep’s blood, poultry manure, dog and human hair can also create the smell of predators in a garden.

Corn cob halves soaked in vinegar for 24 hours can be placed in a flower bed. They should be replaced every two weeks. The smell of vinegar is a natural rabbit repellent.

A variety of recipes use both taste and smell to keep rabbits away. Common ingredients include eggs, garlic, Tabasco®, habañero peppers, and marigold leaves. Sprinkle a mixture around the plants or flowers and reapply whenever it rains.

Spread rose bush clippings to create an uncomfortable ground to walk on and can deter rabbits from entering a flower bed.
Fruit Trees