Old 23-05-2012, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Sour Cherry Trees has buds but no Leaves

Hi.

Nothhampton PA 18954

I have 3 sour chery trees all trees are about 10-12 years old.
All 3 of them where just fine last year, but this year we had crazy
winter and early march(cold and rainny)
2 of the trees have buds(green inside) but has no leaves. The 3rd
tree(the smallest) has leaves and already has cherryes.

Any Idea what is going on with my other two trees?
What should I do?

Thank you in Advance.
Gary
Old 28-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Hi.

Nothhampton PA 18954

I have 3 sour chery trees all trees are about 10-12 years old.
All 3 of them where just fine last year, but this year we had crazy
winter and early march(cold and rainny)
2 of the trees have buds(green inside) but has no leaves. The 3rd
tree(the smallest) has leaves and already has cherryes.

Any Idea what is going on with my other two trees?
What should I do?

Thank you in Advance.
Gary
Extreme cold during winter dormancy, however, may kill the fruit buds. Winter weather rarely threatens apple, pear, plum and sour cherry varieties. Sweet cherry trees are relatively sensitive to cold until they become dormant. Peach trees are very vulnerable to cold weather; peach buds can be killed by midwinter temperatures of 10 degrees F below zero. The stone fruits--cherry, peach, plum and nectarine--can lose cold hardiness due to extended midwinter warm periods. Damage to the flower buds can be extensive, especially if the warm period is followed by a very cold period.
Fruit Trees

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Sour cherry, juneberry, current harvest and canning [email protected] Plant Science 6 17-07-2008 06:01 AM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM