Old 31-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered User

Smile What Petrol lawn mower to go for

Hi Newbie here
I have just moved in to a new property and have a decent sized backed lawn
85' x 20'
I am after a petrol push mower I have a budget of £180 so wondered what to go for I was considering a mccullock with the 450 engine, but i have read that this is not a very reliable.
Would like pointing in the right direction please
Regards
Clarkey
Old 20-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Mount field mowers are very good , and really for reliability and possibly also with electric start if that's what you want Honda are very good , not sure of the quality of the rest of the mower though. Briggs and stratton engines are some of the best around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Old 21-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Lovelawn's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Northamptonshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Hi Newbie here
I have just moved in to a new property and have a decent sized backed lawn
85' x 20'
I am after a petrol push mower I have a budget of £180 so wondered what to go for I was considering a mccullock with the 450 engine, but i have read that this is not a very reliable.
Would like pointing in the right direction please
Regards
Clarkey
Hi Clarkey,

I’m new here too!

I think the McCulloch M40-450C is quite a good buy. Looking at reviews for it people say it’s quite hardy. Others reviews mention that it’s light too – which is good for a petrol push mower; sometimes they can be heavy. If you look at this link you can compare prices: McCulloch M40-450C Push Rotary Petrol Lawn Mower 400mm Cut Width

There’s a few places listed there that sell them within your budget.

Like ryncharlton said, Honda mowers can be a good choice too - the Honda IZY HRG415PD is a petrol push mower and was rated a Which Magazine "best buy" but it’s a bit pricier than the McCulloch 450C (around £270 is the cheapest you can get it).

Hope that helps a bit!
Old 29-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelawn View Post
Hi Clarkey,

I’m new here too!

I think the McCulloch M40-450C is quite a good buy. Looking at reviews for it people say it’s quite hardy. Others reviews mention that it’s light too – which is good for a petrol push mower; sometimes they can be heavy. If you look at this link you can compare prices: McCulloch M40-450C Push Rotary Petrol Lawn Mower 400mm Cut Width

There’s a few places listed there that sell them within your budget.

Like ryncharlton said, Honda mowers can be a good choice too - the Honda IZY HRG415PD is a petrol push mower and was rated a Which Magazine "best buy" but it’s a bit pricier than the McCulloch 450C (around £270 is the cheapest you can get it).

Hope that helps a bit!

My advice would be to not waste your money on a Mickey Mouse McCulloch!!!

They are junk which hardly any lawn mower dealer worth there salt will sell spare parts for or even work on! Speaks volumes about the product and after sales service. There is only 2 good budget mowers on the market at the moment that are near your price range.....

The Honda HRG415 PD - Honda HRG415PD - 16" Izy Push Mower - Lawnmower World

or

The Viking MB248 - Viking MB 248 - 18" Push Petrol Mower - Lawnmower World

Both of which have a massive dealer network for spare parts and after sales service (the Viking mower is produced by Stihl for those who didnt know) but if you must stray below these prices I would try and stick to a Mountfield Mower as they also have the best availability of spare parts and local dealers who are happy to help if you should have any problems.....

Hope that helps

Regards
L-M-L
Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Hi Newbie here
I have just moved in to a new property and have a decent sized backed lawn
85' x 20'
I am after a petrol push mower I have a budget of £180 so wondered what to go for I was considering a mccullock with the 450 engine, but i have read that this is not a very reliable.
Would like pointing in the right direction please
Regards
Clarkey
Too be honest you're best not getting a McCullock mower, i've had one in the past and it didnt last me 30 days and the customer service team where i bought it blamed me for breaking it! Yeah like it is my fault that the mower broke!

I got myself a R434B Lawn-King Lawnmower which will easily do my lawn which is of roughly the same size as yours...
Have a look: R434B Lawn-King Lawnmower | Lawnmowers from Trenchex

however its slightly more than your budget, i'll vouch though not had a massive problem since having it, the only problem I've encounted was the rip-cord for start up, i managed to snap it... I rang up the company LawnKing/Trenchex dismantled the handle took it to their base in Uttoxeter which is around a 30minute trip for me, and i didnt even have to leave the store they fixed it there and then for no charge...

Impressive if you ask me!