Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Default What's wrong with my lawn

There are patdhes of dead grass appearing all over my front lawn.
It was a lovely green uniform lawn just a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
What's wrong with my lawn-rimg0052.jpg
Old 20-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered User

It seems that the grass is not getting sufficient amount of water. That's why it is drying and and getting dead. Try to remove the dead grass and give your lawn a lot of water.
Old 31-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weonlycut View Post
It seems that the grass is not getting sufficient amount of water. That's why it is drying and and getting dead. Try to remove the dead grass and give your lawn a lot of water.
I Agree. Try providing your lawn with more water. Also what you can do is to "stab" this lawn with a pitchfork, and move it a little. This will loosen the roots and the ground, and your grass will have some more "breathing room" if I can say that. This should help.

Search for "How to Aerate the Lawn"
--
Cheers!
Katie
Old 31-07-2012, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 31, 4:40*am, KatieL wrote:
weonlycut;965031 Wrote:

It seems that the grass is not getting sufficient amount of water.
That's why it is drying and and getting dead. Try to remove the dead
grass and give your lawn a lot of water.

I Agree. Try providing your lawn with more water.

Too much water, watering at the wrong times, watering
frequently but not deep, etc have killed just as many, if not
more lawns than too little water. It's the classic amature
mistake. The lawn has a problem and they start watering
away. If the problem is actually a fungus, for example,
that will just make it worse. Same thing with fertilizer.
Lawn has a problem, people think fertilizer is the answer.

Also what you can do
is to "stab" this lawn with a pitchfork, and move it a little. This will
loosen the roots and the ground, and your grass will have some more
"breathing room" if I can say that. This should help.

Which might be practical if the lawn is only 100 sq ft.
But for any typical size lawn it's just not practical nor
does it do much good. Ditto for those dopey shoes
with spikes on them. Renting a core aerator is the
real solution if you need to aerate. And unlike a pitchfork that
makes tiny holes by compressing the soil in the area
next to the hole, a core aerator removes plugs of soil
that are 3" long and 1/2" in diameter. That has a
significant impact on soil that is compacted which
a pitchfork will never achieve.

Search for "How to Aerate the Lawn"
--
Cheers!
Katie
visit 'Construction Equipment Photos & News'
(http://tinyurl.com/cbxc9jz)
'Farm Machinery Pictures & News' (http://tinyurl.com/ckekx87)

KatieL