Old 31-07-2012, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default debris fell into crankcase- how to remedy?

I changed the starter rope on my Toro today, but I accidently removed the
oil dipstick along with the motor shroud when I was accessing the starter
and debris fell into the exposed oil crankcase. Before I use the mower
again, I need to remedy this situation. I know I'll have to change the oil,
but should I do anything else before adding new oil? thank you

Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 31, 12:27*pm, "jim-bob" wrote:
I changed the starter rope on my Toro today, but I accidently removed the
oil dipstick along with the motor shroud when I was accessing the starter
and debris fell into the exposed oil crankcase. *Before I use the mower
again, I need to remedy this situation. *I know I'll have to change the oil,
but should I do anything else before adding new oil? *thank you

You don't say what the "debris" is. If it's just some
grass, dust, etc. then I'd change the oil, refill it, run it
for a few minutes, then change the oil again.
Old 20-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered User

If the Debris is metal or metallic , it could be a idea to lower a magnetic screwdriver down the dipstick hole , or.. if you can get them for mowers and im not sure , a magnetic sump plug is very good , will remove even smallest debris once engine is running again then just clean it at your next oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post

I fell in my pond :-( Nick-S Ponds 20 26-08-2005 10:12 PM
The pod fell off PhalGuy Orchids 4 11-08-2005 09:51 PM
I fell like I am stalking a shrub! Kay Gardening 5 03-06-2004 07:02 AM
Lawn mower just fell in the pool... Bill Miracle Gardening 33 28-02-2004 07:33 AM
Large branch fell of ash tree Snowman United Kingdom 7 25-07-2003 11:02 PM