Old 16-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Default A whole lot of weeds

I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad. No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove the clovers and various other weeds?

If not what should I go for?

Thanks
Old 16-08-2012, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad.
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

Old 16-08-2012, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad.
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

That's what I'd do. Also moss might indicate low pH and you may want to
lime.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad.
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

That's what I'd do. Also moss might indicate low pH and you may want to
lime.
I also had this problem when i moved into my new house. Lots of moss in big patches, i spot treated it, and now my lawn is like brand new. Maybe you could ask in a garden shop or maybe even b&Q and ask what they would recommend.
Old 21-08-2012, 01:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:09 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad.
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

It depends on your climate. Where I live (upper Midwest USA) we're
heading right into the best time of year (mid-August to mid-September)
to treat lawns for weeds or to lay sod or apply grass seed.

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

That's what I'd do. Also moss might indicate low pH and you may want
to lime.

Low soil pH has nothing to do with moss. Think moisture and shade instead.

Old 21-08-2012, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad.
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

It depends on your climate. Where I live (upper Midwest USA) we're
heading right into the best time of year (mid-August to mid-September)
to treat lawns for weeds or to lay sod or apply grass seed.

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

That's what I'd do. Also moss might indicate low pH and you may want
to lime.

Low soil pH has nothing to do with moss. Think moisture and shade instead.

Low pH encourages moss. Moisture and shade of course do too.
Old 22-08-2012, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
I've recently moved into a new house and the back lawn isn't too bad..
No patches but it does have a lot of weeds and moss.

I've tried to remove a lot with spot weeders but there seems to be an
ever growing patch of clovers.

Is it to late to apply an all over lawn weed and feed now to remove
the clovers and various other weeds?

It depends on your climate. Where I live (upper Midwest USA) we're
heading right into the best time of year (mid-August to mid-September)
to treat lawns for weeds or to lay sod or apply grass seed.

If not what should I go for?

Just spot treat them. It might take a few treatments for clover.

That's what I'd do. *Also moss might indicate low pH and you may want
to lime.

Low soil pH has nothing to do with moss. Think moisture and shade instead.

Low pH encourages moss. *Moisture and shade of course do too.- Hide quoted text -

Weed n Feed isn't very effective, if at all, against clover.
Nor are the typicl broadleaf weed killers, like WeedBGone
There are specific weed killers for clover and similar.
They are clearly labeled as such and should be in any
reasonably stocked garden center.
Old 22-08-2012, 05:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
[...]

Tell that to all of us who live in areas with alkaline soils and have
moss growing readily - in shady, wet areas.

Look it up. And don't ever apply a product to change the soil's pH
until you know what the soil pH currently is and thus know whether it
needs changing.

Back when I was in the trade, we put in a great deal of time talking
clueless customers out of adding lime to their lawns. They didn't know
what their soil's pH was. They didn't know they were living in an area
where soils were already on the alkaline side. They didn't even know
if it would correct a problem they were having - such as moss or
mushrooms - or if the use of lime to fix that problem was just an old
wives tale.

Had we fewer scruples, we could've made a lot of money selling people
products they didn't need.
Old 22-08-2012, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/16/2012 5:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
Brob wrote:
[...]

I'm in an acid soil area, have had moss, checked pH and lime ameliorated
it although it was never a big problem.

I'm not a believer in blanketing my lawn with something like the four
product Scott treatment to solve all your problems whether you have them
or not ;_

Weeds...lot's of them! sa08 Lawns 3 06-09-2011 02:40 AM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Two acre lot with lots of weeds James Branvold Lawns 11 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM
A whole bunch of Ambulia free, $5.00 postage, USA only Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 04-03-2003 08:41 PM