Old 27-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered User

Default Lawns & guinea pigs

Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.
Old 27-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyman View Post
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.
Sorry, the guinea pigs do eat dandelion, forgot about that.
Old 27-08-2012, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/27/2012 1:20 PM, olyman wrote:
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs
are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I
supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from
treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after
spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.

You're kidding, right?
Old 27-08-2012, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

olyman wrote the following on 8/27/2012 1:20 PM (ET):
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs
are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I
supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from
treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after
spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.

Label all the weeds with warnings written in Guinea so they will know
which plants not to eat.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 28-08-2012, 02:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

olyman said:

All right, I will treat this seriously...

Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs
are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I
supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

After, because the weedkiller needs the weeds to be growing actively.
But...I wouldn't recommend treating any lawn that beloved pet animals
would be grazing on.

Lets make that crystal clear:
DON'T DO IT.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from
treated areas untill spray has dried".

That's reasonably safe for children that will only be walking across the lawn.
Not safe enough as far as I'm concerned if the animals might be rolling on
the lawn and tend to lick their paws (cats and dogs). Wait until after a rain
(or several). Err on the side of caution.

Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after
spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.

No, I would not let the guinea pigs graze on a treated lawn, nor
even on one that had been recently fertilized, unless perhaps it was
lightly treated with an organic fertilizer which had been well watered in.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 29-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyman View Post
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children & pets away from treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.
Guinea pigs eat grass, weeds (Such as dandelions) and clovers as much as they like. They actually love them! But grass treated with fertilizers or pesticides can be deadly for guinea pigs. Use caution when allowing the guinea pig to graze on fresh clover, grass and wild plants in the backyard. Make sure the plants have not been treat with any pesticides or herbicides. Also, keep the cavy away from any poisonous plants. Never feed grass clippings to guinea pigs as the fermenting grass can cause diarrhea, gas and sometimes death.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 25-09-2012, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 8/27/2012 11:20 AM, olyman wrote:
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs
are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I
supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children& pets away from
treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after
spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.

On the opposite of the pond. A 25x35 lawn, you could pretty much pull up
or dig up all the weeds.
I've used weed an feed and so on over time and don't loke what it did to
the lawn and wildlife. We used to have a lot of rought ground snakes. A
lot like big earth worms, that lived in the thatch. They got rid of
grubs, worms, fleas, ticks and pretty much everything. These chemiclas
killed them out and lots of lawn but the weeds persisted.
Some weeds have to be dealt with with herbicides though.
Overseeding grass and encouraging tall lush growth crowds out most or
all weeds depending on section of yard. You just have be sure and mow it
when dry and not let clippings mat up.

Best way to treat a lawn that is ahred with guinea pigs George.com United Kingdom 17 27-08-2012 09:14 PM
Grass lawn v guinea pigs...advice please vickie United Kingdom 12 14-12-2007 04:40 PM
Vegetable garden for guinea pigs (and people too!) Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 22 10-01-2005 01:56 PM
Furze pigs Essjay001 United Kingdom 27 21-05-2004 08:12 AM
OT AD. Guinea Pig Hutch & Run Jim W United Kingdom 2 29-04-2003 10:56 AM