Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered User

Default Drainage and new lawn

my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring) but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the lawn next year or should i just do it all at once
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

golfmeghol wrote:
my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay
subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from
mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring)
but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid
the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a
permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the lawn
next year or should i just do it all at once

Actually, fall is the best time to start a new lawn. That way it has the winter
rains to help get the roots extablished.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmeghol View Post
my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring) but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the lawn next year or should i just do it all at once
Doing it now may well allow the top soil to settle naturally. This way you will be able to watch how it lies and make any adjustments to get it as level as possible before you lay the lawn. That is if you can stand to look at a membrane all winter!!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
golfmeghol wrote:
my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay
subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from
mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring)
but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid
the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a
permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the lawn
next year or should i just do it all at once

Actually, fall is the best time to start a new lawn. That way it has the winter
rains to help get the roots extablished.
actually i live in north west england and if i was to lay a lawn now it would be dead by spring. Fall may be best in america but definately not here in 'sunny' manchester.
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock909 View Post
Doing it now may well allow the top soil to settle naturally. This way you will be able to watch how it lies and make any adjustments to get it as level as possible before you lay the lawn. That is if you can stand to look at a membrane all winter!!
That is what i was thinking, also should prevent weeds from growing and it will allow me to take time to get work done without rushing it.

If i remove existing lawn by hand what depth do i need todig down baring in mind i intend to put a layer of sand down to help with the drainage

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

golfmeghol wrote:
Bob F;968636 Wrote:
golfmeghol wrote:-
my current lawn suffers from poor drainage, mainly due to heavy clay
subsoil and being enclosed by trees/conifers. it alsosuffers from
mushrooms/lichen and other generalweeds.
I am going to replace the lawn(will probably wait till next spring)
but was wondering if i removed the current lawn now, dug out and laid
the drainage channels and then relaid with topsoil and covered with a
permeable membrane will this give me the best start to laying the
lawn next year or should i just do it all at once-

Actually, fall is the best time to start a new lawn. That way it has
the winter
rains to help get the roots extablished.

actually i live in north west england and if i was to lay a lawn now
it would be dead by spring. Fall may be best in america but
definately not here in 'sunny' manchester.
Thanks for the reply

It works fine here in 'sunny' Seattle. You might be surprised. Ask a local sod
supplier.

New Lawn Drainage Problem! gmb27 Lawns 6 02-04-2013 08:04 PM
Lawn drainage Jack Gardening 1 23-10-2005 05:22 PM
Lawn Drainage Curtis Gardening 6 19-04-2005 01:25 AM
Under lawn drainage Dave United Kingdom 2 16-04-2004 01:34 PM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM