Old 17-09-2012, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Termite or flying ant?

About 1/2-inch long. Found outside the house but no termite droppings anywhere around.

Looks like termite except that one place said termites' wings are easy to break off and this one was not. Also illustrations show termite antennae as being straight or slightly curved and flying ants' as being like elbows. Can't see in the photo, but this one is elbowed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5194/bug03.jpg

If termite, what is an effective pesticide that I can use for spot treatment without hiring an exterminator? I see a lot of borate-based materials online but I notice when I have used them for ants, it doesn't work unless you mix in with something sweet that attracts them (this info is never on the labels...)

Old 17-09-2012, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Can't see that well but ant bodies are segmented around where a waist
might be whereas termites have like a straight waist.

Termites are hard to exterminate yourself if in the house as insecticide
needs to terminate wood.

Bayer makes a couple of treatments to protect the house. One you
sprinkle and water in and is good for about 6 months and another that
requires slight trenching but lasts 2-3 years. I'm assuming
subterranean termites.

Old 18-09-2012, 07:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Frank" wrote in message ...

Can't see that well but ant bodies are segmented around where a waist
might be whereas termites have like a straight waist.

Termites are hard to exterminate yourself if in the house as insecticide
needs to terminate wood.

Bayer makes a couple of treatments to protect the house. One you
sprinkle and water in and is good for about 6 months and another that
requires slight trenching but lasts 2-3 years. I'm assuming
subterranean termites.

Thanks Frank. Pretty sure it's a dad-blasted termite. Heck! (sorry for the bad langwidge, ladies). Looking at this page, probably a dry-wood type -- wings are dark brown.

http://www.epestsupply.com/termite_identification.php

Old 18-09-2012, 01:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

About 1/2-inch long. Found outside the house but no termite droppings anywhere

around.

Looks like termite except that one place said termites' wings are easy to break off and
this one was not. Also illustrations show termite antennae as being straight or slightly
curved and flying ants' as being like elbows. Can't see in the photo, but this one is
elbowed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5194/bug03.jpg

Where are you located? It's not the season for winged termites in the northern US
(spring is normally when they swarm).

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that *might* be a brown lacewing.
Brown lacewings are beneficial insects; their larvae are voracious aphid predators.

Do you still have the insect? Do you have access to an entomologist through the
Cooperative Extension Service?

If termite, what is an effective pesticide that I can use for spot treatment without
hiring an exterminator? I see a lot of borate-based materials online but I notice when I
have used them for ants, it doesn't work unless you mix in with something sweet that
attracts them (this info is never on the labels...)

Termites actually feed on wood and have no interest in the sort of baits you would use
for ants. Treating a house for an active termites really is a job for professionals, who
will have the know-how and tools (and access to chemicals that you need to be licensed
to use).

Once you sure they aren't eating your house out from under you, there are bait stations
design for termites that you can use to guard against future infestations.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 18-09-2012, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9/18/2012 2:20 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message ...

Can't see that well but ant bodies are segmented around where a waist
might be whereas termites have like a straight waist.

Termites are hard to exterminate yourself if in the house as insecticide
needs to terminate wood.

Bayer makes a couple of treatments to protect the house. One you
sprinkle and water in and is good for about 6 months and another that
requires slight trenching but lasts 2-3 years. I'm assuming
subterranean termites.

Thanks Frank. Pretty sure it's a dad-blasted termite. Heck! (sorry for the bad langwidge, ladies). Looking at this page, probably a dry-wood type -- wings are dark brown.

http://www.epestsupply.com/termite_identification.php

Did not get a chance on aioe to say more as lines were limit restricted.

I faced this problem in the spring finding stumps near the house full of
termites. I was confident that none were in the house and put down the
Bayer stuff sprinkled on and watered in and called Bayer about how long
it lasts as well as their trenching material.

I had termites in roots just a few feet from the house and for peace of
mind called in Terminex to inspect and treat. Their inspection was
quite brief and not as intensive as what I had done but they would not
give an insurance contract without treatment so we did it (termidor
which can last 10 years) for about $1,100. Yearly contract about $225
will supply any extra necessary treatments for barrier or termites and
take care of any wood damage. Their treatment completely surrounds
house and in spots where there is cement, they bored through it to
inject chemical.

Neighbors on either side had been treated. One had swarm in house and
had damage. He had put down the juvenile hormone treatment a couple of
years ago and termites had disappeared. I had known at the time and put
down the barrier stakes and never had the problem but this time I was
worried because stumps from pines near house I had removed were big and
loaded with termites. I saw them swarm and the swarming insects were
dark compared to the white termites in the wood.

So you have choice of doing it yourself or calling in a pro.

Unfortunately the chemicals available to a home owner are not as potent
as those used by the pros. Years ago you could put down a chlordane
barrier which would last a lifetime but with today's EPA and all the
banned insecticides lot of stuff is not available.

Also during this time period I used to go around the house and water in
a diazinon treatment as insect barrier but this is no longer available.
I see on-line suppliers of termidor and diazinon but don't know how
reliable they are.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob said:

About 1/2-inch long. Found outside the house but no termite droppings anywhere

around.

Looks like termite except that one place said termites' wings are easy to break off and
this one was not. Also illustrations show termite antennae as being straight or slightly
curved and flying ants' as being like elbows. Can't see in the photo, but this one is
elbowed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5194/bug03.jpg

Where are you located? It's not the season for winged termites in the northern US
(spring is normally when they swarm).

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that *might* be a brown lacewing.
Brown lacewings are beneficial insects; their larvae are voracious aphid predators.

Do you still have the insect? Do you have access to an entomologist through the
Cooperative Extension Service?

Hi Pat, yes, I'm afraid it's definitely a termite and not a brown lacewing. I'm in So Calif. A few of these started showing up inside the house when the temp got up to 95-100 degrees. Now that it has dropped back below 85, they have disappeared.